FYI - Mary Ellen Gultch

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've been in contact with the FS, Snowbird and Trout Unlimted regarding this project for the past few weeks, additionally Steve Jackson and I had a meeting with the Forest Service in PG this morning regarding this and other issues in the canyon.

Bodine

One Call That's All
I've been in contact with the FS, Snowbird and Trout Unlimted regarding this project for the past few weeks, additionally Steve Jackson and I had a meeting with the Forest Service in PG this morning regarding this and other issues in the canyon.

Do you have any news you are able to share?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Do you have any news you are able to share?

They are going to funnel water from the Live Yankee Mine workings (the flooded shaft that sits just north of the caved shaft). Basically funnel it way from the tailings. As it was, the water was just puddling up across the tailings and then flowing down the overburden to where it joined the stream, this will make it join before the tailings I'm told. Snowbird has a crew up there working, started Monday expected to be done by the end of the week. They are using a small trac-ho and trail modifications were going to be minor in fact they were going to have to do the most modifications to get their pickup to the site with fuel.

The rest of our meetings was in regards to some recently closed and re-classified roads. This was a preliminary meeting to scope the possibilities of re-opening, re-classifying and creating new routes with the support of the FS, our next meeting will be with the district ranger in charge.

Bodine

One Call That's All
It sound like they are at least trying for minimal impact of the area but I would think the folks that own the mine would be tasked with doing the job.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It sound like they are at least trying for minimal impact of the area but I would think the folks that own the mine would be tasked with doing the job.

They are ;)

Snowbird owns the Live Yankee and the Globe mine, possible others in MEG. They also own the majority of Miller Hill Claims too. A lift on Miller Hill is likely in the next 10 years imo.

Trout Unlimited becomes involved as they are looking to clean up the metal numbers in the canyons water, they get the owner involved before it takes an EPA superfund condition to get the place cleaned up.

It sound like they are at least trying for minimal impact of the area...

I'm leary that the OHV recreation quality of the road will suffer more than we'd like. I hope whoever runs up MEG this weekend can provide photos and a report on the road condition (assuming they had run it previously this year and noted existing conditions).

-------------------------

U4WDA Volunteer Coordinator for Volunteer Coordination and Coordinating Volunteers for Volunteerism

Meat_

Banned
I think Bodine should drive me up there this Saturday. You know, since the last time I was up there was in his TJ.... would help on the comparison.

Bodine

One Call That's All
I think Bodine should drive me up there this Saturday. You know, since the last time I was up there was in his TJ.... would help on the comparison.

You'll have to take the squeek machine this time I'll be in Hatch saturday.;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If anyone does care to go up this weekend, please do and report back. Don't bother the workers, they might not be working over the weekend though. Just document and photo any recent major trail improvements and grab some photos of the worksite(s). Thanks!

allterrain

AllTerrain
I went up Monday just after noon and the storm broke just as we passed Dutchman.
What a fantastic day! Not another rig or track in sight all day. The work is all done and they cleaned it up nicely. Although mostly washed out by all the rain, I could see where some grading had been done at the Yankee and some medium size rocks moved to make a small barrier against the hill just as you pull into the tailings site. Overall, it was tough to see where a lot of work had been done. We went all the way up to the shale slide and hiked over to the Silver Bell mine. There was fresh snow down to the road at the top and the sun came out and made a spectacular sight. I'll post a few pics soon (no camera at work).

The highlight for me was that my 16 yr. old daughter followed in my CJ7 all the way with her 12 yr. old brother as copilot. Despite some loose, slippery rocks and muddy spots after all the rain she wheeled like a champ!! (proud papa)