Garage Door installer/fixer on here?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I even have the panels. Just looks like I need a cool, modified come along (after watching a few youtube vids). probably worth it to just have somebody come out. I'll give them a call in the morning.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm basically a pro at fixing mine after my wife and I have many mishaps over the last 6 years. I'd replace it but I'm worried I'd just run into it again or get the tracks jammed up. I thought I had learned my lesson but put it down just the other day with my JK tailgate open. I managed to catch it before anything broke or got seriously bent but they are pretty fickle.

Just looks like I need a cool, modified come along

What seems to be the problem with your door?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bent my top panel bad enough that the top two wouldn't flex anymore when it was raised. I had previously reinforced them with 2x4s on the inside. I pulled all the panels and re-arranged the order that they were installed and bolted things back up and we are good to go again.

If its just pulling panels and swapping them out I think you should be able to do that pretty easy yourself. When the door is up there isn't tension on the spring. When I was working on mine I raised it and put a block on it so it would stay in place. I guess the only thing I'm not sure about is the cable screws that connect to the bottom panel. I know they need to be torqued but I didn't have to remove them on mine. My issues were with the top three panels.

How are the tracks? Any problems there or with the coil? If the issue is strictly with the panels I think I could probably help you swap them out. I'm off till monday and although I have a bunch of projects I want to do they aren't going to happen and I'll end up being bored. Let me know.

Caleb

I'm basically a pro at fixing mine after my wife and I have many mishaps over the last 6 years. I'd replace it but I'm worried I'd just run into it again or get the tracks jammed up. I thought I had learned my lesson but put it down just the other day with my JK tailgate open. I managed to catch it before anything broke or got seriously bent but they are pretty fickle.

What seems to be the problem with your door?

FWIW, closing a properly adjusted garage door on something (car, kid, pet, etc) won't cause any damage or harm to the door or the item/kid. You should be able to throw a 2x4 under your door and that should be enough to make it stop and go back up. If it doesn't, then you need to adjust your door. If your door closes hard enough to cause any damage to itself or said item under the door it's actually quite dangerous.