• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Garage Door Project

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Made a lot of additional progress this week. Hardie shake shingles above the garage, painted the siding, and did new wood shutters. We've still got to button some stuff up.. (and enclose the old door) But the front of the home is looking how we wanted, and is almost done.

Before starting in April 2022
April 2022.jpg

Photo from this evening Oct 2022
Oct 2022.jpg

The brown paint turned out darker than anticipated, so in the evenings it's hard to tell it's shake shingle siding.. but in the daylight it is obvious.

Tonkaman

Made a lot of additional progress this week. Hardie shake shingles above the garage, painted the siding, and did new wood shutters. We've still got to button some stuff up.. (and enclose the old door) But the front of the home is looking how we wanted, and is almost done.

Before starting in April 2022
View attachment 153097

Photo from this evening Oct 2022
View attachment 153098

The brown paint turned out darker than anticipated, so in the evenings it's hard to tell it's shake shingle siding.. but in the daylight it is obvious.
Looks great!

I still can’t get over how much concrete you have up front.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We ended up with just less than 4,000 sq ft of concrete parking space. It's not exactly square, and so it's not perfect... but It's been pretty awesome.
But, the camper trailer has been out in the middle of the original driveway for a week now, and hasn't even caused an ounce of grief.. which was the whole reason for this in the first place. It has been soooooooooo nice to park in the garage and shop without issue.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My work has really slowed down over the past few weeks.. so I am right in the sweet spot of having some time and money.. but will soon be in the spot of all time and no money.. so I'd like to knock out a few projects. I need to finish some lights and soffit on the garage. The plan was always to put a couple can lights in the soffit to light up the door and driveway. But thinking more about it, I am thinking I would like to have more lights. If I put a can light in the soffit in each of the black circles in the photo how do you think that would look? I'd do some color changing LED's like the front porch lights.
The second floor right light, and garage door left light would be in line looking straight on at the home.
I thought about doing the jellyfish style lights.. but that would cost way more. and we all know it adds no value :rofl:

Oct 2022.jpg

Also, there are 2 security lights on the old garage door side that are connected to the front porch lights. It would be very easy for me to tie ALL the lights together, or just as easy to have all the can lights on a different switch. I can put them all on photocells to come on and off together each day. Do I want to have separate control of the cans from the porch lights, or have them all switched together?

Tonkaman

My work has really slowed down over the past few weeks.. so I am right in the sweet spot of having some time and money.. but will soon be in the spot of all time and no money.. so I'd like to knock out a few projects. I need to finish some lights and soffit on the garage. The plan was always to put a couple can lights in the soffit to light up the door and driveway. But thinking more about it, I am thinking I would like to have more lights. If I put a can light in the soffit in each of the black circles in the photo how do you think that would look? I'd do some color changing LED's like the front porch lights.
The second floor right light, and garage door left light would be in line looking straight on at the home.
I thought about doing the jellyfish style lights.. but that would cost way more. and we all know it adds no value :rofl:

View attachment 154663

Also, there are 2 security lights on the old garage door side that are connected to the front porch lights. It would be very easy for me to tie ALL the lights together, or just as easy to have all the can lights on a different switch. I can put them all on photocells to come on and off together each day. Do I want to have separate control of the cans from the porch lights, or have them all switched together?
Go with smart bulbs in each location so you can find tune each ones brightness and have different on/off combinations

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't want to complain... because we NEED this snow, and I have even been praying for it.. but 4,200 sq ft of concrete is a LOT to shovel 🤦‍♂️

I own 2 snow plows, a snow blower, and enough shovels for each kid in the family.. but somehow I keep ending up shoveling by hand, by myself.

But, truth is, I only actually have to shovel the newest part of the driveway.. and the rest can stay covered in snow without issue anymore!
I absolutely LOVE the change we made.

B39BB8B0-6884-4F37-A8BC-15FDB1187E94.jpeg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It could be worse. My sisters house in Anchorage Alaska.
That stormed shut schools down for four days in a row. That’s unheard of. We’d usually have schools close for one day a couple times a winter, but never more than one in a row.
I always loved having enough snow to build snow caves after shoveling the driveway.
C566A2F9-FBBF-4C44-9FD1-ED304656F09C.jpeg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
She just told me they got another foot of snow last night. The city is all but shut down. They have 9 plows that are down and not enough guys to fix them. She has 3 feet of snow on the road in front of her house. Her whole neighborhood is stuck. Normally this is no big deal in Anchorage. Not this year.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My brother broke a garage spring tonight. My old-way facing door has springs that are just a few months old.. so I took them off so I can replace his springs. I made a mistake, and the spring bar fell off the opposite side from where I was working and wedged my forearm against the sharp edge of the top of the door. Luckily I had double layers on so I didn’t slice my arm open, but the weight and leverage of the bar pinned my arm hard enough I couldn’t move it. I was able to use my other arm to get my phone and call my wife who came to my rescue. Although I don’t have a physical cut, there was obvious grooves and such in my muscle right away.. and now about an hour later I have a swollen forearm throbbing under an ice pack. 😭😭🤦🏼‍♂️
We will see how the spring install goes tomorrow morning 🤷🏼‍♂️