Garage Doors are too damn Short

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Why in the hell did house builders only put 7' tall doors in my house? I have 9' ceilings in my garage. Surely they could have gone for 8' doors. I can barely get my stock height F350 in the door to work on it. And my Land Rover with a Roof Rack will not fit now without two adults standing on the back of it to clear the opening.

Do you think its possible to modify the openings for a 8' tall door?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Sure it's possible.

Remove old mouse door
Build a temporary support wall,
Rip out the door framing
Put in longer side studs
Re-use the top beam
remove temp support
lots of cleanup
install new, manly door.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My house has the same issue

When i bought i was just excited to have a garage

Ive thought about tearing out and putting bigger doors in. Ive decided it would be easier to move

Cascadia

Undecided
You could luck out and they put the beam all the way to the top of the wall. Which means you most likely have a foot of non structural framing under the beam. You can just rip that out and move the garage wrap up. A 9' ceiling in a garage is really low. Is your house slab on grade? The last house I framed had an 18" beam for the garage header. Do sometimes the beam eats up a lot of real estate.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
This is the front of my house. Funny, I don't have any of those vehicles anymore. I took this when we moved in a year ago. The house isn't perfect. But next time I move it will be back to Wyoming or Montana. The main reason I bought it was for the location and 3 car garage.

995874_10151775032770028_1551409416_n.jpg

STAG

My Ford has a 2" lift, 35's and clears the roof by about 3/4". The antenna hits hard but no biggie.

The hummer won't clear with the RTT on, by about 5".

7' door.

Also, if I have a hitch in my Ford it is too long to close the door. I have to touch the back wall, and then I have about 4" clearance in between the bumper and garage door.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My truck is way to long to fit inside. with the nose touching the wall the back half of the bed is sticking out. I had a garage at one time long enough to park two cars end to end in it. It was an old converted barn though.

idahoyj

When I had my house built, I did the third bay 40' deep, its REALLY nice. However, I did not put any consideration to ceiling or door height.... Ceiling height is 8'9" and the door opening is only 7'. I would DEFINITELY have at least 1x 9' door next time with 12' ceiling heigh!

My dad had a similar problem with his 1970s garage. Fortunately he had the built down framing under the structural beam and was easily able to raise the door height!

blznnp

Don't want to rub it in, but man I love having a 10' door and a 12' door, plus 16' ceilings in my garage. I don't miss my old garages that I have had in the past

R

rockdog

Were just starting to build our new house and my garage is 48' deep and the doors are 9' tall. ;)

It's nice to build your own house! Especially if you have built homes for a living. You know what things to add that you have done for others. Built mine deep on one side with eight foot door. :)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
well, if I would have had more time to find a house, I would have looked at the doors more closely. I had 1 day to look at houses. I looked at 29 houses in 1 day in my price range and went for this one.

OB1

I'm looking at adding a third car garage onto my house and this has given me some great ideas as what to I may want to look for. Think I'll go with high ceilings so I can put a lift in at some point. 30' deep would let me put my CJ and TJ in end to end and an 8' door. I'm not into tall trucks. My stock Ford F-150 is fine for me. And 24' wide would give me lots of room for a project on the side. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blznnp

I'm looking at adding a third car garage onto my house and this has given me some great ideas as what to I may want to look for. Think I'll go with high ceilings so I can put a lift in at some point. 30' deep would let me put my CJ and TJ in end to end and an 8' door. I'm not into tall trucks. My stock Ford F-150 is fine for me. And 24' wide would give me lots of room for a project on the side. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although you may not be into tall trucks, if you can do a 12' door, I would. Especially if you want to put a lift in. Depending on where you put the lift, you will need 12' of clearance, mine is actually 141" I think, so it fits right under my 12' door and track.