Garage Floor Protection/Mats

Asbjorn

We are preparing to move and the rental we are going into is a brand new build. As such, the garage floor is spotless, and any stains, damage, etc. will obviously be my fault. So…I’m looking into non-permanent garage floor protection. So far, I’m just thinking about some rubber mats. Home Depot sells some that are 10’ wide, sold by the linear foot.

Anyone use anything like this, or have suggestions?

7718BBBA-7796-480F-B3C9-D36C5F7D9BCF.png

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
That would work or carpet remnants may be less expensive.

Is painting the floor with floor paint an option and then re-paint when you leave?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
In all my years renting while stationed everywhere for the military (even in some new rental homes) the garages were never inspected. With that said, I always cleaned them, especially grinding dust etc. When I welded, I was careful to put something over the floor to prevent burn marks. Still, no inspections, but I left them clean.

Asbjorn

That would work or carpet remnants may be less expensive.

Is painting the floor with floor paint an option and then re-paint when you leave?

Painting is out, I believe. It’s currently bare concrete.

I’m worried that an oil spill/leak would make its way through the carpet and onto the concrete. I’m planning to park the buggy in the garage, and it’ll undoubtedly drop one or more fluids.

Asbjorn

In all my years renting while stationed everywhere for the military (even in some new rental homes) the garages were never inspected. With that said, I always cleaned them, especially grinding dust etc. When I welded, I was careful to put something over the floor to prevent burn marks. Still, no inspections, but I left them clean.

I would hope that oil drips, etc. would be expected in the garage, but I’d rather play it safe. Yes, I plan to leave it clean when we move out, and take precaution in the meantime to keep it as close to new as it was when we move in.

Asbjorn

How about a couple large drip pans placed under the buggy? You could add some oil absorbent pads in them to contain any fluids and make cleanup simple.

Drip pans are definitely going to be under the buggy. But I want some larger protection under and around for all of the other work I’m doing where oil tends to drip (i.e. cutting oil under the drill press, misc greasy jobs, etc.)

Asbjorn

I'd treat it with concrete sealer and get those mats. They won't really notice the sealer, and it will give you a little time to mop up a spill.

The sealer is a good idea. Maybe I can sell it to the owner as an improvement and get a little bit of credit towards rent one month!