Gazelle T4 vs Kodiak 10x10 "Deluxe"

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've got several nights in the Gazelle now and I want to compare it to my Kodiak.

Space and weight while packed - the Gazelle takes this one with ease. It's long, it'll need to go on the roof or on a trailer for most rigs, but it's much smaller overall and certainly lighter.

Ease of setup/takedown - the Gazelle wins again, but this is much closer. The initial deployment of the structure is faster, but if you're planning on staking it out that eats into the lead because you need more stakes (the sides like to collapse in the wind and need to be staked out as well as the four corners). And takedown is similar - the initial collapse is quick, but getting the thing wrapped up nice and in the bag is a little fiddly. I'm sure I'll get better at it with time. The Kodiak by contrast, while a little more labor intensive, is much more straightforward - four stakes, tension rods and center pole, side poles, done.

Weather resistance - I'm giving this to the Kodiak with an asterix, because I haven't had the Gazelle out in serious weather. I have had the Kodiak out in some amazing windstorms and thunderstorms and as long as the ground holds the stakes, the tent just stays up. I can't say yet that I would trust the Gazelle to do the same. In moderate rain and winds it's held fine, with the caveat that it needs to be staked well.

Breathability - no complaints here with either of them. Both have ample screened windows for venting and I haven't noticed any condensation to speak of in any conditions. The Kodiak has the bonus of two covered corner vents in the eaves and the front porch awning flap that leaves the window/door on that side covered as well, so you can leave them open in the rain. But the Gazelle has a mesh roof with a rain fly that allows breathing out the top. Edge to the Kodiak, but it's a small edge.

Durability - another asterix win for the Kodiak, because I THINK it will hold up better over time. It's less complicated, and it's steel and canvas instead of ripstop and fiberglass. But again it's a tight call because I haven't had the Gazelle for as many years as I've had the Kodiak to know for sure. So far it's been great, nice sturdy zippers and good seam stitching on both of them, no leaks, no complaints.

Ease of use - the Kodiak wins this one going away. It's not just the extra foot or so in each direction that's nice, it's the door arrangement. Because of the geodesic shape of the Gazelle they weren't able (or didn't want to) put a door in the middle of a wall, so there's two on opposite corners and they're triangle shaped, which makes getting a widebody like mine in and out a little awkward. It hasn't happened yet but I foresee tripping on my way out to pee in the middle of the night and teaching my kids some new words. This also makes the sleeping arrangement weird - trying to run two cots in the Gazelle means at least one door for certain will be blocked, and maybe both depending on the size of the cots. The Kodiak fits two cots with plenty of living space left over.

Ease of cleaning - I almost forgot this one and had to edit my post to include it - the Gazelle has a bathtub floor that velcros into place. Very sturdy heavy duty velcro, it stays in place great and comes out easy if you get a big spill or just don't want to wrestle a broom and dustpan in the tent. Point for the Gazelle.

Appearance - I saved $20 by ordering the orange tent instead of the green one. I'd like a mulligan. Kodiak wins by a mile.

Value - the Gazelle wins the price contest outright, at about half the price of the Kodiak. Value per dollar is a tougher call. I think the Kodiak is a better tent, I think it's probably enough better to justify the higher price. But that's subjective, a judgement call on my part, and folks with different priorities might see it different. If you were in the market for a good family tent and $700 was a lot of money, I don't think you could go wrong with the Gazelle. I'd take it in heartbeat over your standard hunting-cabin style canvas setup or the cheap family tents from the big box stores.

I wanted the Gazelle to replace the Kodiak. I wanted it to pop up when I snap my fingers and pack itself while I sit in a chair and drink a hot chocolate. I wanted it to give me the space of a large tent with the setup/takedown ease of a much smaller setup. It didn't quite make it, I think the Kodiak will continue to be my primary when I'm setting a base camp for several nights or have the family along, and I'll still probably rather sleep in the truck or under the stars when I'm alone and on the go. I do think the Gazelle is going to keep a place on my shelf and will have a spot in the rotation. It'll have a niche where I want the amenities of the Kodiak but don't want to wrestle it's size or don't anticipate being able to drive stakes. And it'll make a great loaner/backup. But I'll still reach for the Kodiak most times I want a big tent, I think.

Last edited: