Gear Review- EdgeStar Freezer/Refrigerator

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I guess its the cost/benefit analysis as to if an "upgrade" is needed. Personally, I still don't think the expense of the pricier fridges is necessary. I mean you got 12 years out of your Edgestar! Thats great for any piece of regularly used electronic equipment. Personally I'd just buy another one and put the money you saved on buying a more expensive fridge in the gas tank.

I thought about another Edgestar and may still go that route, it looks like prices have stabilized recently. I paid $380 and they're now going for $445. - https://www.compactappliance.com/fp430-compact-edgestar-portable-refrigerator-freezer/FP430.html

If I upgrade, I'd have to do some research and shopping around, see what's worth owning these days.

Greg

Admin
I reached out to Edgestar customer service about my problem and they are saying that the power supply needs to be replaced, it costs $145.

At this point, I've gotten more than enough value out of my fridge and it's in pretty rough shape. Rather than spend that money to fix it, I'll just buy a new Edgestar and hope it lasts another 12 years.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If I were buying new, I would definitely get one, based pretty much on this thread :D .. I have a used Engel, and it's fantastic, but the cost/benefit sheet says: I don't need the advantages/features the Engels or ARBs etc have, for the extra cost. My use is primarily weekends, near jumper cables if needed. Were i to be spending weeks off-grid and without help available, I'd probably be rocking a sweet rooftop solar panel and a new Engel.

I have to say that the last several years with a fridge have been freaking AWESOME compared to using a cooler. SO MUCH BETTER.

Greg

Admin
My new Edgestar FP430 showed up today and it looks like they've made some very valuable upgrades compared to my first one! Steel handles, hinges, larger lid handle and a much beefier spring loaded latch. The inside is coated, rather than raw. The control panel is totally different, tells you what power source it's running on in case you're using both, etc. I'm pretty happy with this purchase, seeing that they've updated the FP430 over time!

i-7Kv8VX5-X2.jpg

i-FhjMcSP-X2.jpg

i-PD68nZF-X2.jpg

i-VQzM5X4-X2.jpg

i-s6WbgMP-X2.jpg

i-KghnGCp-X2.jpg

i-x8h9JbS-X2.jpg

i-MSGjwNn-X2.jpg

i-XtdKXnh-X2.jpg

i-DK9xdrm-X2.jpg

i-26VSQ93-X2.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Could you post some dimensions, and rough price? That looks pretty good-- but perhaps too tall for the cop car trunk LOL

My Engel has a broken latch, I need to see about getting a new one but maybe I just need a new fridge too. Hmmmmmm

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My new Edgestar FP430 showed up today and it looks like they've made some very valuable upgrades compared to my first one! Steel handles, hinges, larger lid handle and a much beefier spring loaded latch. The inside is coated, rather than raw. The control panel is totally different, tells you what power source it's running on in case you're using both, etc. I'm pretty happy with this purchase, seeing that they've updated the FP430 over time!

i-7Kv8VX5-X2.jpg

i-FhjMcSP-X2.jpg

i-PD68nZF-X2.jpg

i-VQzM5X4-X2.jpg

i-s6WbgMP-X2.jpg

i-KghnGCp-X2.jpg

i-x8h9JbS-X2.jpg

i-MSGjwNn-X2.jpg

i-XtdKXnh-X2.jpg

i-DK9xdrm-X2.jpg

i-26VSQ93-X2.jpg
Nice! I'm sure you'll get another 12 years out of it!

Greg

Admin
Could you post some dimensions, and rough price? That looks pretty good-- but perhaps too tall for the cop car trunk LOL

My Engel has a broken latch, I need to see about getting a new one but maybe I just need a new fridge too. Hmmmmmm

Same dimensions and weight as listed in the first post. There is a link to this exact fridge in post #81, top of this page. They were on sale for Memorial Day, I paid $445 last week. Sale is over, so they're $470 now.