Gear Review. Pads Armor etc.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
What do you wear riding?
What do you like?
What do you dislike?

I recently picked up a body armor setup and after comparing it to Cascadia's Fox Titan armor it's almost identical. Save for cheaper zipper and velcro.
41C49rJuP6L.jpg
41sW2xtnAxL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VIA0KM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for $34 bucks I figured I'd give it a try. I'm a fan after wearing a roost protector for a long time, it's nicer to crash in.

Knee shin guards are great too
I've liked these so far
31WT65Q6okL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/EVS-Option-Gu...&sr=1-3&keywords=evs+nitro+circus+knee+guards

I've been highly considering some better knee brace style ones like the Asterix brand setups that protect against hyperextention and side pronation after my ACL tear snowboarding some years ago.

And I can't believe what a big difference good riding boots and pants made.

So what do you wear?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm pretty minimalist but feel naked without knee/shin guards like the ones you listed. I've tried a couple chest protectors but never like them.
I'm a big wuss so I never go fast enough to get hurt:)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I gear up. I've gone down a couple times without it and a few weeks of growing new skin on my forearm and shoulder made me decide that armor is my friend. I wear an old six six one pressure suit (I think), cheap knee pads and gloves.

No one should even look at a real dirt ride without good boots and a helmet

Moabxjeeper

No one should even look at a real dirt ride without good boots and a helmet

100% agreed. And those should be considered a bare minimum starting point. I didn't know hardly anything about dirt bikes until last year and when it came time to buy all of my gear, I ended up getting talked into buying a lot of things that I thought were for sure unnecessary. WRONG. Every piece of protection I've ever bought has saved me at some time or another. There's always a little voice in the back of my head when I get something new that says "Yeah it may be a little pricey, but it's still way cheaper than medical bills."

Starting from head to toe, here is what I wear (keep in mind that I ride 95% track):

Fly Three.4 helmet - Good helmet, breathable, lightweight, and looks great
Fox R3 roost deflector - Not intended for this, but I'm pretty sure this saved my collar bone at the track one time
Fox or Fly jersey/pants - I tend to grab my Fox pants more often, just seem a little better made, but Fly is good too
EVS Impact kidney belt - I didn't wear a kidney belt when I first started riding but my back feels so much better now that I do
ARC Corona riding shorts - These have padding built into them so you don't have to worry about the pads in your pants shifting around
Fly cheapo shin/knee guards - Better than nothing
Alpinestars Tech 7's - Took a little breaking in but I love them. It's nice to feel some actual protection on my ankles

So far I've had really good luck with everything that I've bought. Even my cheap starter Fly Maverik boots worked alright for the time I used them, but it was definitely time to upgrade.