Gear swappin

idoc

I need some input on what would be easier.

I have a d30 front axle in my scrambler and I need to change the gears. I have another d30 with the right gears, but drum brakes.

Question is, would it be easier to swap the gears into the axle already on the jeep, or swap the disc brakes on the jeep onto the axle with the gears and then install that axle?

Before anyone says it, I know the d30 is a bit of a pos with bit tires, but I already have these parts, I also have 44's to put in it, but I believe I have to outboard my front springs to do that and I want to wheel for now, when it breaks I'll fix it.

Thanks, Dave

Caleb

well, not rally trying to go off on a tangent but IMO, the upgrade from a D30 to a D44 is not really worth it...if you are busting the ring gear on the 30 then maybe but otherwise most the parts are the same (or can be, especially U-joints)...

as for which way you should go, if the disc stuff will swap right over then do that...the gears will need to be re-set when you swap them so you aren't really saving much besides the cost of parts...just my $.02

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ok, so we all agree the 30 is a POS....... But drum brake (narrow track)? You're talking OLD now. Are you running a late model 30 (Widetrack, with the bigger U-Joint)? An 80's wide track with the dinky U joint? Some are better then others, so I cant really tell you how to go from here without more info, but the drum brakes axle would be best left in a dumpster somewhere....

idoc said:
I need some input on what would be easier.

I have a d30 front axle in my scrambler and I need to change the gears. I have another d30 with the right gears, but drum brakes.

Question is, would it be easier to swap the gears into the axle already on the jeep, or swap the disc brakes on the jeep onto the axle with the gears and then install that axle?

Before anyone says it, I know the d30 is a bit of a pos with bit tires, but I already have these parts, I also have 44's to put in it, but I believe I have to outboard my front springs to do that and I want to wheel for now, when it breaks I'll fix it.

Thanks, Dave

Mopar_magic

I did the swap of the disc brakes on the Dana 30, and it wasnt bad at all. Took my brother and I maybe 2 hours with cleaning and re-lubing everything as we put it back together. And we installed a locker while doing this.