gears

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
do yj gears fit in an xy? if they both have d30 and d35?i dont know much about gears so school me!

gorillaxj

swap

well ive seen lots of people selling yj and tj gears but not to many xj gears and was wondering before i buy any. i want lower gears anything from 410 to 488 whatever i can get a pair of. but i cant aford new ones. :rolleyes:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Dana 35 gears can be swapped. Dana 30 front gears come in two types in the jeeps, standard cut and reverse cut. The older XJs have the reverse cut fronts (also known as high pinion). You can't swap a low pinion set for a high pinion set. I have a set of used 4.10 gears for a dana 35 if you are interested.

gorillaxj

thanks

thats what i wanted to know i thought i her somthing like that but wasnt sure.... i am how much do you want for them? any one have a front d30 to match?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
gorillaxj said:
thats what i wanted to know i thought i her somthing like that but wasnt sure.... i am how much do you want for them? any one have a front d30 to match?

I sold the front set already.... How is $25 for the rear set ? You will need a new carrier also.

gorillaxj

ok so if i wanted to upgrade in gears what do i need to replace and why? i have the d30 hp opend diff up front, and d35 stock posi lp in the back.

gorillaxj

bud

how can i tell the diffrence? or is it by year? what do i need(long?or short pinion?)? i have an 85 jeep cherokee. axle specs above ^

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
gorillaxj said:
ok so if i wanted to upgrade in gears what do i need to replace and why? i have the d30 hp opend diff up front, and d35 stock posi lp in the back.

When you go to 4.10 gears and above you have to change the carrier along with the ring and pinion. On your posi you can swap the internal posi parts into the new carrier which helps on parts. If you can find someone who has gone from a posi with 4.10 gears to a locker they would have what you need.

Bud

'98 ZJ
gorillaxj said:
how can i tell the diffrence? or is it by year? what do i need(long?or short pinion?)? i have an 85 jeep cherokee. axle specs above ^
what gears do you have now? the carrier break in the front is 3:73 and numerically higher, and the rear is 3:54 gears and numerically higher

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
gorillaxj said:
i have 373 f/r. i want to run 410's or 456's.

So if Bud is right (which I think he is, that's how I remember the carrier breaks and he's got more experience than me), you've already got the right carriers. You'll just need a ring/pinion set, bearing kit and someone/someshop to install them.

Bud

'98 ZJ
call Randy's Ring and Pinion, I have always been happy with them for many years. Some of the local shops have discount accounts set up with them already, so you usually end up even, plus most shops hate or will not allow you to bring in your own parts to be installed because of warranty issues. Most will warranty their work, but it's a big hastle to get parts warrantied.....although I've never had to return a R&P set because of breakage.....

save yourself the money on labor and get lockers put in at the same time! they are worth it!

Last edited:

gorillaxj

well ill probly do it my self. but if i do have them installed ill go that rout.

but what type of locker should i go with in the front? i want to keep my posi because its a daily driver and it still works fine. then go to an ox or arb in the rear when the posi blows. i want somthing that is full time. with the c.a.d. posi lock i can disingage one wheel for better turning if needed. what kind would you guys suggest?

how do i tell the diffrence between a long and short pinion? so i dont buy the wrong kind?

sorry about all the ?'s......

Bud

'98 ZJ
gorillaxj said:
well ill probly do it my self. but if i do have them installed ill go that rout.

but what type of locker should i go with in the front? i want to keep my posi because its a daily driver and it still works fine. then go to an ox or arb in the rear when the posi blows. i want somthing that is full time. with the c.a.d. posi lock i can disingage one wheel for better turning if needed. what kind would you guys suggest?

how do i tell the diffrence between a long and short pinion? so i dont buy the wrong kind?

sorry about all the ?'s......
the longer pinion shafts are a couple inches longer than the short ones. The short ones are about 6" long, sorry I don't have one here at the moment to give an actual measurement. If yours is reverse rotation (high-pinion) then you don't have to worry about the different lengths. No, you can't switch around the low and high R&P sets. I think you asked at the begining of this thread how to tell the difference between high and low. Well, if you look at the horizontal center line of the axle and if the pinion and yoke come out above the center line then it is a high-pinion diff. And if you look at the direction of the coast/drive side of your R&P and compare it to a standard rotation (low P) the teeth will go in opposite directions. So if your's is a High pinion then pop the cover to make sure your new ones match, sorry I can't remember which one goes which way at the moment. Are you buying new or used and what tranny and size of tires do you have?