gears

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
thanks

yeah i was wondering how you tell the diffrence between long and short pinions. i know i have a high pinion d30 (reverse cut). i have a 5spd manual and 31's right now. i am just looking for lower gears. i am buying used. the biggest reason why i want to is to take more stress off the clutch. i dont want to burn it up on or off road.

Bud

'98 ZJ
gorillaxj said:
yeah i was wondering how you tell the diffrence between long and short pinions. i know i have a high pinion d30 (reverse cut). i have a 5spd manual and 31's right now. i am just looking for lower gears. i am buying used. the biggest reason why i want to is to take more stress off the clutch. i dont want to burn it up on or off road.
Are you 4cyl or 6 cyl, and what tires are you planning on running after the gears?

Bud

'98 ZJ
gorillaxj said:
its a 2.8l 6 and 31s or 32s. what size would be best?
4:10s and 32" tires would put you realtively at stock and would be sufficient for up to a 33" tire, if you plan on going to a 33 or 35" tire then just do the 4:56s now. You will ride at a higher RPM, but you will love being up there in fifth gear on the highway and have more low-range offroad. IMO go with the 4:56s if you ever plan on going over 32's. Have you installed gears before? I will caution you about doing them if you haven't. If you haven't and have someone helping you that is quite experienced then go for it! I have been doing gears for about 7 years at least weekly, and I still would run into odd-ball problems from time to time. I'll put it this way, I don't know how to work on auto-trannies and I won't touch them, until I have had some OJT experience from a qualified person. That and internal motor stuff are my two VooDoo's!!!! I don't touch them, I trade them out in Labor for the things I can do well........

gorillaxj

32s

well im either going to have my auto teacher do it with me. who has done it many times on cherokee's before or pay someone to do it. i dont think i will ever run 33s. i really want to run a 32. i have a 4.5" lift and i rub in the front with 31's(when flexed out). i just want alittle higher stance and more tire surface.

gorillaxj

thanks

thanks for all the info its been a big help with finding out what i want in terms of parts and out come. thanks again to all.