GenRight Vented Power Steering Pulley Install & Test

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Got this cool little piece from a friend a few weeks ago and decided to install it today. GR offers them in blue and red anodizing. I'm glad the one I got was blue. Considering my previous experience with anodized aluminum, it didn't take much time, even when not in UV light for red items to quickly fade to pink.

IMG_1788.jpg

On the GR website, Uncle Tony claims a 10% overdrive over the stock pulley. It also has blades machined into the pulley that draw air over the pump in an effort to keep it from overheating. Since I could not find any reviews online, I figured I'd do a bit of science-ing and put the pulley to the test. During R&R, I used a wind meter used for long range target shooting to measure airflow, and a digital handheld tachometer to compare the revs.

My current hydro assist setup is a now defunct kit from PSC. At one point they offered a kit that included a PSC steering box, ram, and hoses. It retains the OE pump. I have added a Derale branded auxiliary cooler mounted to the radiator preemptively to keep the fluid cool. My biggest complaint is that when I attempt to turn the steering too quickly at idle, I can outrun the ram where it gets harder to turn. I think the end all solution is to just get a PSC pump and reservoir, but I hope that the overdrive pulley might make up some of that difference.

I measured the air flow directly behind the pulley, on top of the pump. RPM was measured by a handheld tachometer with the reflective piece of tape stuck to the very outside forward face of the respective pulleys.

Here are the results:

Stock pulley
Airflow-2-4 mph, airflow seemed pretty turbulent. I attribute this to the radiator fan and the obstructions between it and the fan.
RPM-980

GR Pulley
Airflow-consistently 11-11.5 mph
RPM-1070

Jury is still out on how it will help with turning the wheel quickly off-road at idle but looks to live up to GenRight's claims. I'll post back up once I get some trail time regarding whether it helps the ram keep up.

Last edited:

RockChucker

Lots of folks (well documented swap) have great success with an 03 range WJ pump out of one with the 4.7. Specs are silly. Something like 6 gpm and 1900 psi. More “hotrodded” than most aftermarket TC pumps. It is a TC pump and bolts right in there your oe pump fits. As I recall you do have to get some sort of adapter fitting for the pressure side.