GFCI outlet in garage

Pike2350

So my garage had 2 20amp circuits installed (I know probably not enough lol) I have a Midea inverter window AC unit in it for the summer. Apparently these things for some reason do not play well with GGCI outlets from what I have read online.

My question is...while it is preferable, is it really necessary to have a GFCI on this circuit? All plugs are approx. 4' off the ground and the GFCi is above my workbench.

I already swapped the AC thinking it was an issue with it..then when the 2nd one did the exact same thing I found a fair bit of the same issue...but only if it is plugged into or on a GFCI circuit. I haven't found read anything about a GFCI breaker, but those are pricey and really I just kind of want to swap to a normal outlet.

The other option people have done is a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter to keep the ground on the AC unit isolated since the AC unit has a built in GFCI in the plug (I am pretty sure)

The_Lobbster

Technically by NEC it’s required. You could call your local jurisdiction though to see if there’s any exemption.

Honestly if it were me, I would just swap outlets to a standard non GFCI outlet. But, that’s me.

Curious how you like that window AC? I’m assuming it’s pretty quiet?

Pike2350

I love it. It is very quiet inside, can hook up to wifi to control remotely, thermostat and timer. And the 12k Costco h it can gwt may 24x26 garage down to 73-74 without too much effort.

We were leaving it set to 80 to keep the garage not too bad..but it sometimes will trip the GFCI and then the garage door opener doesn't work since it's on the same circuit.

I am leaning to trying the 3prong-2prong adapter just because it has it's own GGCI or some kind of breaker on the plug.....but I need to add a outlet bar for the workbench anyway so I thought maybe eliminating the GFCI outlet and just using that box as a junction for the outlet bar.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
can you run a new cable from the breaker box to the AC unit? I would run its own outlet and just not do GFCI for that one outlet.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
How many outlets are on the circuit and is it possible to run the ac of the first outlet in the circuit and put the GFI outlet in the second position?

Pike2350

How many outlets are on the circuit and is it possible to run the ac of the first outlet in the circuit and put the GFI outlet in the second position?
There are 5. The AC is actually in the 3rd...so getting to the first and moving the GFCI may be difficult. That would mean draping an extension cord along the workbench

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Does eliminating the ground prong solve your problem. I have read GFIs work by comparing current between hot and neutral. Not the ground. Have you considered removing the GFI in the A/C plug. I have heard of problems with two in the line.