Glacier National Park Tips?

ID Bronco

We are heading to Glacier next week and have some loose plans made but I am hoping to hear about some gems we don't want to miss.

Also, if anyone has fly fished it, please let me know where it was productive. (bull trout especially)

Thanks

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
The Many Glacier part of the park is my favorite. Lots of great hiking and things to be seen and done

Looks like the park has implemented some sort of vehicle controls, limiting how many can enter each day

ID Bronco

The Many Glacier part of the park is my favorite. Lots of great hiking and things to be seen and done

Looks like the park has implemented some sort of vehicle controls, limiting how many can enter each day

Yea, that snuck up on us. Being close to Yellowstone this never entered our plans, so we basically have to go in before 6am if we want to get in, there are no reservations available at this late date. If you go in prior to 6am or after 3pm there is no restriction. The kids are not stoked about the early entry but it will mean more animal sightings and better fishing (when the opportunity arises) (rises ;))

85CUCVKRAWLER

Yea, that snuck up on us. Being close to Yellowstone this never entered our plans, so we basically have to go in before 6am if we want to get in, there are no reservations available at this late date. If you go in prior to 6am or after 3pm there is no restriction. The kids are not stoked about the early entry but it will mean more animal sightings and better fishing (when the opportunity arises) (rises ;))

You can purchase a car camping pass (either online or locally through FB marketplace) which allows you to drive wherever you want through the park. The PR's have been complaining that the camping passes are much easier to obtain than the drive passes (which usually sell out day 1 in March) and people just buy the camping pass then never camp.

I second Hungry Horse dam. there is a TON of campsites all around the reservoir and its absolutely stunning territory.

Also there is a PIzza place in Kalispell called Moose's Saloon. Its some of the best pizza i have ever had and they have ice cold beer on tap. Its also super dark inside, no servers, and peanut shells all over the floor. Try not to act like a yuppy city slicker and they will serve you with the biggest smile. Its a must stop for me every time im in town for work.

Also, There is a little shed on the side US-2, north of the airport call Pete's Fried Chicken. It is BAY FAR the best southern fried chicken west of the Mississippi river. Their cole slaw is is even the correct southern style (most people have no idea what cole slaw is supposed to be). But, they get busy, and its just one dude making orders, so either go on an off-hour or get there right at 11am, or youre gonna wait. Also, for drinks he only has dr. pepper, and lipton's ice tea in a can, dont be suprised or complain, or you aint gettin no chicken lol.

376714124_10160986507694082_8927426041025906894_n.jpg

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I bought an M38A1 from the Miracle of America Museum about 20 years ago, and toured it then. It sounds like it has expanded a lot since then. I also had pizza and a beer in the Moose in Kalispel in 1966, it was called the Blue Moose then if I recall correctly. It may have been different then, but your description sounds the same.

ID Bronco

You can purchase a car camping pass (either online or locally through FB marketplace) which allows you to drive wherever you want through the park. The PR's have been complaining that the camping passes are much easier to obtain than the drive passes (which usually sell out day 1 in March) and people just buy the camping pass then never camp.

I second Hungry Horse dam. there is a TON of campsites all around the reservoir and its absolutely stunning territory.

Also there is a PIzza place in Kalispell called Moose's Saloon. Its some of the best pizza i have ever had and they have ice cold beer on tap. Its also super dark inside, no servers, and peanut shells all over the floor. Try not to act like a yuppy city slicker and they will serve you with the biggest smile. Its a must stop for me every time im in town for work.

Also, There is a little shed on the side US-2, north of the airport call Pete's Fried Chicken. It is BAY FAR the best southern fried chicken west of the Mississippi river. Their cole slaw is is even the correct southern style (most people have no idea what cole slaw is supposed to be). But, they get busy, and its just one dude making orders, so either go on an off-hour or get there right at 11am, or youre gonna wait. Also, for drinks he only has dr. pepper, and lipton's ice tea in a can, dont be suprised or complain, or you aint gettin no chicken lol.

View attachment 174760

Thanks for the info, I am coming up empty on the car camping pass, does anyone have info on that? I can't seem to find anything.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I spent the last 3 days in Columbia Falls and surrounding, and really have nothing valuable to contribute. Other than I hope the smoke clears out before you get here, and don’t get too excited about cherries. I guess the flathead valley had an unusually deep freeze this winter and the crop is only a fraction of normal years.

Oh, and Moose’s Saloon was great, but hasn’t usurped The Pie in my world. Mudman Burgers took a spot in my top 5 favorite burger joints

IMG_6312.jpeg

comingdown

I’ve spent lots of time on the east side in east glacier and st Mary’s. You don’t need any pass entering from the east st Mary’s entrance. Also my wife is Blackfeet so we never need a pass. We like swimming at lake Macdonald and lower two medicine. Duck lake has good fishing I’ve been told, but I haven’t fished much up there. But my father in law is the fish and game director for the tribe, so he could know. Pm me if you want his info. He’s a neat old dude.