Gladiator Soft Shell

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I have been thinking of getting a Softopper (or similar brand: Bestop) for the Gladiator. The only real negative thing I have heard is that on the Softopper brand, the acrylic rear window cracks in really cold temps (below 30). Other than that, it sounds like it is brand preference.

BDKW_7732635-IMG_001_P04_ANG_A__12142.jpg

Does anyone have any real world experience with a soft shell (Gladiator or other truck) they would like to share?

I am not too worried about security since I rarely leave anything in the bed. HOWEVER, and this is a big one. Sometimes I do take 2 different pair of skis to the mountain when I ride depending on conditions. This doesn't happen often but I would be PISSED if someone was able to 1. See into the bed and whatever goodies are in there. 2. Someone was able to easily get into the bed and steal my skis. This is only top of mind since I just got new skis for this season and, well... it's ski season!

Thanks!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have a Softopper on my truck and the windows (front and rear) are flexible vinyl, not acrylic.
It is very well made and I'm really happy with it.

Jesser04

@Evolved do you still live in Syracuse? If you do I’d swing by Brian’s canvas it’s locate in the Freeport center he is awesome. I bet he’d make black canvas back window for a fair price. It would keep out prying eyes.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
@Evolved do you still live in Syracuse? If you do I’d swing by Brian’s canvas it’s locate in the Freeport center he is awesome. I bet he’d make black canvas back window for a fair price. It would keep out prying eyes.
We moved a few years back to West Layton, but still close enough to the freeport center to swing by.

A blacked out window is a killer idea. If I decide to pull the trigger, I will definitely explore this.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Had one on my Tacoma, functionally I loved it. The Tacoma however hated. At high speed it would get sucked in so bad it screwed with the aerodynamics it killed my power and MPG. Legit couldn’t hold OD on the Highway with it installed. Sold it and very much over paid for a very hard to find hard topper that I’m still waiting for Shane to sell back to me attached to the truck. Maybe it will be better on the gladiator. Eric seems to like his I despised mine on the Tacoma.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
mine never moves, at all, in, out, flap, whatever and I've had it up to 85
The sides of mine would suck in 4-5 inches where the frame was sticking out. May have just been the shape of the Tacoma that would create that vacuum

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I wonder if it would be possible to mount a ski rack vertically to the frame inside. Then it would keep your skis off the floor and give you the ability to lock it. Just a thought. I have my ski rack mounted vertically on my van.
View attachment 154486
My first thought was that would be legit! Then about 45 seconds later, I realized I would have to crawl into the bed of the truck to open the racks and get my skis out. A false floor or a decked type system would be ideal but it's a lot of work and/or a lot of money for the 3-4 times a year I bring the whole quiver. I would also lose a lot of space in the bed by adding a semi-permanent floor.

Honestly, I can easily fab up some sort of clam shell lock that would go in-between my bindings and then to use a wire style bike lock to one of the bed tie downs. Or simply throw them in the cab. I am over complicating this like I usually do.

I have never had my vehicle messed with while skiing. Growing up in Rose Park makes you think differently and trust very few I guess... that or I’m just a paranoid person.

Back to the soft shell. If you have used one, I'd love to hear about the good, bad or indifferent experiences.

Last edited: