Glockman's Rubi LJ

Updating the build thread after oh 7 years.

Specs
2006 Rubicon LJ
2003 5.3 LS
4l60E
NP241C with JB conversions SYE and 1310 flange
Novak Cable shifter.
Magnaflow exhaust
Swap details LS swap for the LJ

Teraflex lcg lift
Teraflex short front Upper control arms.
4" Teraflex springs
1" body lift and tummy tuck
Metal cloak track bars front and rear.
Teraflex Speed bumps Front and rear. Custom mounted in the frame on the rear. Details Here
Teraflex dual rate front sway bar.

Falcon TJ shocks
Currie Correctlync steering

37x12.50 R17 BFG KM2's on aluminum modular wheels.
1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers

Factory lockers front and rear
4.88 gears
Chromoly shafts in the rear
RCV's up front
Teraflex HD diff cover on the front.
LCA skids

JCR Aluminum Hi lined fenders.
Currie front bumper with grill hoop
Warn 9.5Ti
Rear crusher corners (unknown brand)
Warn rock sliders.

Rigid 2x2 spots on Hella A pillar mounts
Amazon special LED headlights
LED tail lights -Tractor supply style
Sport cage

When I bought it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360532065.388577.jpg

Current pic
20200830_161950.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Haha, I saw that one forsale I was checking it out before I decided on a JK

Sweet rig man, congrats

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks guys. It is amazing how much better it drives than my TJ. Not sure if it's the wheelbase or the LCG theme keeping angles closer to stock.

I took it out for a mile or two of dirt/mud/snow yesterday and dropped it into 4 low. WOW. The 4:1 is amazing.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I was very close to buying that one. It's just what I wanted in an LJ. Just couldn't quite agree on terms. Lucky you.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I was a lurker for a few weeks watching this particular jeep. I'm glad all you guys passed on it:D

I'm pretty sure it's the extra wheelbase that makes them so stable. I have driven my dad's with a 3 inch lift and factory short arms and it is just as stable. Thanks for all the offers though.

Very nice - congrats!

- DAA

Your rig is a major contributing factor to my lust for an LJ. Now to work on my photography skills:)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
With the LS Swap mostly done, I'm really loving the jeep.

Here is the short list of items to get it really finished and trail worthy.

Lockers need to be totally re-wired after the swap.
I have some rock lights and some reverse lights to install so I am looking at building a pod were the stock TJ switches are.

I have never used the rear window washer or defrost and the hard top is rarely on the jeep so deleting those seems like a no brainer.
I'll have the following in the pod
Front locker
Rear locker
Locker power enable
A pillar lights
Rock lights
dual USB port
12v cig port.

I'm leaning towards building/ 3D printing a switch panel and using OTRATTW and Contura XIV lower independant switches.

While I'm at it totally rewiring the lockers, I may as well relocate them somewhere more protected. Any input here?
The reverse lights are flush mount and I'm thinking of sinking them into the rear bumper.

Still need to power the dome lights too.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Completed a bit of work on the front suspension. The front end with 4" springs my speed bumps have 1/2" free up travel. I cut the lower bump stop down an inch and shortened the speed bump tube an inch. I now have 2.5" and it's much better. Took it to the closest dirt pile to check clearances.
20200929_175948.jpg
This is with approximately an inch of bump left.
20200929_175559.jpg
Still have tons of clearance on the engine. I may go back to 3" lift springs.

Poser pic
20200929_175936.jpg

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Also tried to identify the squeal/grind noise. I first thought it was in the transfer case but on further inspection I think it's the transmission. Any ideas.

Last edited:

RockChucker

Do you have a speed sensor on the output shaft? maybe the sensor is set too deep and needs to be spaced up? Maybe it is the seal on the output shaft inside the tailhousing? I realize that both those would seemingly cause a squeal either direction. Best I can come up with right now though.

Edit: Did some googling....this sounds like your issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem?

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Do you have a speed sensor on the output shaft? maybe the sensor is set too deep and needs to be spaced up? Maybe it is the seal on the output shaft inside the tailhousing? I realize that both those would seemingly cause a squeal either direction. Best I can come up with right now though.

Edit: Did some googling....this sounds like your issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem?
That does in deed sound exactly like the issue.
However, what lead me to crawl under and start listening is a noise while driving, only at low speeds (first gear only but not 100%) and only while the drivetrain is under load. Go up a hill, noise, accelerate from a stop, noise. Ease onto the throttle and no noise. Sounds like a nut in an empty steel drum to me but I am half deaf. I was hopeful this was the cause but it seems like it may not be.
I'll get a go pro under there soon and get a better video.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Got the locker switches in the dash temporarily. I am still planning on building a replacement housing for all the switches that fills the lower portion of the factory dash.
Here is how it sits now.
View attachment 134752

Also got the reverse lights installed in the bumper.
View attachment 134754
If those reverse lights are the same ones I have in my Dissent rear bumper, they are stupid bright and I love them. :)