Gluing plexi inside Uchannel

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
RME has hooked up me twice on this project, now I'm coming to you all a third time. I need to glue some 1/4" aluminum U trim around the edge of some 3/16ths-ish plexi. Too much play between the OD of the plexi and the ID of the trim to bolt/rivet it and make it look good, so I'm thinking some kinda badass adhesive. I need the trim to hold the mild convex curve of the plexi, so I probably can't just goop it up with silicone and expect it to hold. I'm thinking epoxy and would love to know if there's a specific kind I should be looking at that likes aluminum and acrylic, and I'm open to other ideas too.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
post picture of what you're working on.
You could shim the acrylic to fit tightly in the channel and then rivit/bolt, but being acrylic drilling/bolting that close to the edge isn't the best idea.
You might be able to just smash the u channel closed for a tight fit then silicone/epoxy it. I think the design of the structure is primarily whats going to keep the curve in the acrylic.

Acrylic is a thermoplastic; depending on the shape you're after you might be able to easily form a heated sheet and completely do away with the perimeter structure.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=acrylic+thermoforming

Last edited: