good tires???

chadschoon

what would be a good tire for some seriouse rock crawling and for a daily driver but pretty cheap on the price?

mixmaster

I have the Trxus's MT's on my 80 series cruiser that is my daily driver and sometimes weekend wheeler. I actually think they are a pretty decent tire. They are pretty quiet, smooth, siped and only $150 for a 33x12.5x16.

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
BFG M/t

I run the BF Goodrich M/T and they wear well on the road and do good off road. They are also fairly cheap for an off road tire.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I dunno, but my next tire is going to be BFG All Terrain KO. They work great off road and get greaaat mileage on the highway. Plus, I am driving 90% on the highway anyway.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The MTR is the best tire I've run on rocks (so far), but dont underestimate the tried and true BFG AT. Yes, they suck in the mud, but they wear terrific, are fairly cheap, do a good job on the rocks, and are hard to beat on slickrock if you're thinking Moab wheeling. They're not half bad in snow either (my MTR's suck).

Used to be a guy in UROC way back when that ran them in competition (some of us remember that far back) and really kicked some booty with em.

Brett said:
I dunno, but my next tire is going to be BFG All Terrain KO. They work great off road and get greaaat mileage on the highway. Plus, I am driving 90% on the highway anyway.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
BCGPER said:
The MTR is the best tire I've run on rocks (so far), but dont underestimate the tried and true BFG AT. Yes, they suck in the mud, but they wear terrific, are fairly cheap, do a good job on the rocks, and are hard to beat on slickrock if you're thinking Moab wheeling. They're not half bad in snow either (my MTR's suck).

Used to be a guy in UROC way back when that ran them in competition (some of us remember that far back) and really kicked some booty with em.

Yeah, my MTR's definately suck in the snow too. I am ALWAYS sliding down the hill up here above Foothill when I go to work on snowy days.

Houndoc

Brett said:
Yeah, my MTR's definately suck in the snow too. I am ALWAYS sliding down the hill up here above Foothill when I go to work on snowy days.

That answers what was going to be my next question. So, what is the vote for the best tire for our real world of highway daily driver, rocks and snow, mud and ice. Obviously looking for the "do everything well, nothing perfectly" tire. Suggestions??

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The BFG AT's I had on my former Cherokee ROCKED in snow... they did ok in UT mud, too.... if you saw the post where I had to rescue a moron in the middle of the valley, that mud was a sticky, sloppy 8" or so deep... the tires loaded up but the side lugs kept it moving.

In snow they made the wild-ass dirt track style of winter driving I learned in upstate NY kind of difficult... they gripped very well and cleaned themselves out in a hurry. I was impressed, and spent most of my time in all these "storms" here in 2wd.

I got really limited rock usage out of them, but they did very well. Got all 4 for like $96 a piece installed or something at BigO, on sale I'm sure.

I'm going to get another set for the Blazer, 35's this time. For the money I dont' think there's anything that works as well on as much stuff. :D

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
MTRs have been good to me, but it doesn't take much for them to feather or wear quickly. Just a little bit out of alignment, too much camber, who knows what and they start disappearing quickly. BFG MTs or ATs are much more forgiving. My neighbor has 60K miles on his 35x12.50 MTs with more than enough tread left. I think I have maybe 10K on my MTRs and I expect to get 25-30K out of them.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
RedRock5.9 said:
MTRs have been good to me, but it doesn't take much for them to feather or wear quickly. Just a little bit out of alignment, too much camber, who knows what and they start disappearing quickly. BFG MTs or ATs are much more forgiving. My neighbor has 60K miles on his 35x12.50 MTs with more than enough tread left. I think I have maybe 10K on my MTRs and I expect to get 25-30K out of them.

Yeah, very true about how they disappear quickly. My last Cherokee wouldn't align correctly up front (probably cause it was a bit bent from being hit :hickey: ) and it always wore the front tires weird. My MTR's probably lost 5k in miles cause it would just wear them so fast.

Thankfully this newer Jeep is a bit straighter :greg:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I liked my MTR's and I never felt like I didn't make it up something because of my tires. We'll see just how much better the new meats stick though.

I think the best Moab slickrock tire, the best snow tire, and the best road AT is the BFG AT KO. Those things rule.

But, you know you can't run those cause they don't look cool enough so deffinately go with the thornbirds.

SSR's are another option--what kind of treadlife do those get on the street?

Cody

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Don't go with All terrains if you want rock performance. You can't go wrong with BFG mud terrains or MTR's. My MTR's seem to be quieter, and seem to wear a little better on road than my BFG's.