good to be a pavement pounder

Too Far

parts is parts
Hi, my name is Chad.
I'm driving a '87 Isuzu trooper. As soon as I heard of the impending lift law changes I broke out the grinder and went to work on the SAS. Currently I have toyota axles under the thing. I have a couple of d44s sitting on the floor in the shop waiting for instal. I must admit that I look like a poseur right now. I broke my front driveshaft in moab in Nov. and have not fixed it yet. I will need a new shaft for the 44 anyway, so if you see me running around without a front driveshaft give me a break. I swapped out the stock 4 banger for a late model 3.2 V6. Still waiting for the good fairy to come along and donate a R151F and a couple of 23 spline cases!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, welcome to RME!

You don't have the HUGE Trooper, do you? I've seen one running around this part of the Valley. Just curious if its yours!

Too Far

parts is parts
Yea, its probably my trooper you have seen. Its white and silver. Its also rusted, dented, and still under construction! I didn't know that there was a local group of crazies. I look forward to wheeling with you guys.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Cool! Do you live up by the mouth of AF Canyon? I have seen some HIGHLY MODIFIED Isuzu's in that neighborhood! So what are the specs? Toy axles with what gears, lockers, etc?!

Too Far

parts is parts
Yep, Thats where I live.
The axles are from my 1980 toy that is sitting on blocks right now. The gears are still stock at 4.37. I have a lockright sitting on the shelf that I was going to install, but I decided to replace the toy axles with a pair of dana 44s. The 44s are set up with 4.88 gears and both have lockrights in them. I just need to get the long side shaft resplined and they are ready to go in. The 44s are 58" wide and should work well with the width of the trooper. I have been running a standard cross over steering system with an allpro arm and fzj80 joints. I built all of the SAS stuff from scratch. I am using trooper rear springs in the front. They are about identical to toy rear springs. Stock springs in the rear with a spring over for the lift. T-case gears are painfully stock right now at 2.28, but I'm working on that. It happilly works out that in '98 isuzu used some R series trannies on the trooper so I can use the bell housing from a '98 and mate a R151f or a R150 toy tranny and enjoy the benifits of Marlins stuff. Thats a huge cash investment, though, so it may take a while.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i am a total fan of anyone modifying troops! i love the idea of the massive box body with soldi axles. let me know how much you want for those toy axles when you are done with them. my zuk needs a toy axle upgrade. hell i might even throw some waggo axles under there. you never know!!