Got a light? DIY project puts out 90,000 lumens (not a typo)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I went down the rabbit hole with this video, looks like the kid is local to Park City and has quiet the collection of aerial RCs as well.

airmanwilliams

I come back from thanksgiving vacation and you had to post this? Ugh I have 3 jobs and no time but now you got me thinking and I need to make a flashlight now. I have an 18,000 lumen flashlight coming for testing but it has 15 leds in it and is the size of a night stick or club. If I can get an empty flashlight housing now, one of these leds, a driver and other parts I may build something similar.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
It's not 90k lumens, it's 60something tops.
These chinese led arrays and not efficient enough to produce 90lm/watt. Plus those crappy chinese drivers he's using probably aren't running them at full power anyway.

By his own narration stating he gets about 10 minutes of runtime I'm estimating he's running them at about 65% power, because his 177 watt/hr battery pack would run a 1000watt led load, including a generous 80% efficiency for the boost converters, for ~6 and a half minutes.

The datasheet for those led modules shows 8500lm output typical for ~120w input. if you de-rate this you get about 8500 * .83 =7000lm @ 100watt
If you derate this further for his estimated input you get somewhere around 4500lm per module, or ~45,000 lumens total, and this isn't even factoring in the appreciable lumen loss from the light traveling through an inch thick glass aspheric lens.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I come back from thanksgiving vacation and you had to post this? Ugh I have 3 jobs and no time but now you got me thinking and I need to make a flashlight now. I have an 18,000 lumen flashlight coming for testing but it has 15 leds in it and is the size of a night stick or club. If I can get an empty flashlight housing now, one of these leds, a driver and other parts I may build something similar.

I think only FourSevens and I have made the only thing like that in existence lol.

Post a link to the light you're talking about.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It's not 90k lumens, it's 60something tops.
These chinese led arrays and not efficient enough to produce 90lm/watt. Plus those crappy chinese drivers he's using probably aren't running them at full power anyway.

By his own narration stating he gets about 10 minutes of runtime I'm estimating he's running them at about 65% power, because his 177 watt/hr battery pack would run a 1000watt led load, including a generous 80% efficiency for the boost converters, for ~6 and a half minutes.

The datasheet for those led modules shows 8500lm output typical for ~120w input. if you de-rate this you get about 8500 * .83 =7000lm @ 100watt
If you derate this further for his estimated input you get somewhere around 4500lm per module, or ~45,000 lumens total, and this isn't even factoring in the appreciable lumen loss from the light traveling through an inch thick glass aspheric lens.

I like science :cool:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
The picture I was sent looks exactly like the one you were screwing around with here http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...men-flashlight

They make about 1500 lumens. It's a complete marketing gimmick. The problem is you need like 16-17v and 9 amps available and the 4s lithium arrangement provides 14.8v typical and 18650 cells don't really handle 9amps discharge anyway, unless you get the really expensive high drain ones. You can't run these lights at full power anyway or the LEDs will very quickly overheat and start shifting towards blue light output, not to mention the thing would very quickly get too hot to hold since it's not going to dissipate ~120 watts of heat.