GPS For Blazing New Trails and Making Maps

carsonc1974

First off, I hae nearly zero experience with handheld GPS units but an looking for something to put on our dirtbikes. We are currently working on setting a new race up down south near Lake Powell, and need something to take our tracks/route as we ride, as well as the ability to mark waypoints that we can later upload and input into maps of some sorts. Basically we are trying to build a trail system map for some private land so we can potentially set up a race course.

I am currently leaning towards a garmin 64 series gps but was hoping for some guidance from some of the more experienced riders on this forum.

meach4x4

I used to use a 64 but switched to an Oregon 400. It has served me well for 5 years, with plenty of hours of use. The newer Oregon 450t comes with maps loaded, and has a better screen for using in sunlight. These are rugged units, and very easy to take tracks and record waypoints. 400 and 450 have larger screens than a 64, and has a smaller body. Uses touch screen instead of all the buttons.

Gil