green river south Dec. 09

05rubicon

Last weekend some friends took us to some great places south of green river it was cold but the senery was great. Fri we explored a geyser, we were told it went off on a regular basis it had not went for a while but was still cool to see. We then went on to see the north side of horseshoe canyon and blue john but it was to cold to hike down very far. While at Horseshoe we saw that there is a jeep trail on the other side and the info boothe showed it was an actual jeep trail. We decided to try it out on Sat. it took a while to drive around to the other side on the way we found the remains of an old mine. There was a lot of wood brought in for this one, we continued down to the trail but found that it had been closed because of a wash out. It looks like it has been a while and they have no intrest in fixing the road. It was big let down as we were excited to take the trail down. They are likly waiting and when no one says anything they will close it. We went on out to the overlook on the green accross from Hell roaring area it was great. Sun we explored the crystal geyser by green river very cool. then we went down to a sand dune area we had fun playing in the wash and checked out place our friends called the bowl. from there we went south again to the east side of the Green and saw what is called the tubes. These are drainage slots the decend to the river, if you have a bike or atv you can decend in one go along the river and come up another. We hiked down until the ice became to much of a problem. I came away with a new appreciation for the area and what cool things await you there.

Attachments

• geyser.jpg
    geyser.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 26
  • alien eyes.jpg
    alien eyes.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 24
  • purple lake.jpg
    purple lake.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 23
  • horseshoe can.jpg
    horseshoe can.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 24
  • horseshoe.jpg
    horseshoe.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 22
  • horseshoe3.jpg
    horseshoe3.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 23
  • mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 30
  • opps.jpg
    opps.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 46
  • shoe4.jpg
    shoe4.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 23
  • shoe5.jpg
    shoe5.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 22

05rubicon

more pictures

Here are a few more pictures

Attachments

• sand dunes.jpg
    sand dunes.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 13
  • bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 17
  • bowl looking out.jpg
    bowl looking out.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 12
  • old mine.jpg
    old mine.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 17
  • tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 14
  • tubes2.jpg
    tubes2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great pics, that is a neat area.

The road through the north end of Horseshoe has been closed for 10-15 years now, can't remember the exact date. It may not have been due to the washout, that could have happened in the years since it was closed? Not sure one way or the other.

Any pics of the mine on the other side?

05rubicon

The north side road is closed and is a hiking trail. At the info booth they show both sides and on the south the have a jeep trail shown. When we went to the south side just before you drop in the canyon there is a cattle guard and a big chain accross it. The sign says it is closed due to a washout, we walked down to the washout and back up. Where they still show it on the map on the other side I think they should fix it. Would it be worth it to ask them? There was a mine on the south side that is the picture with the big wooden wheel