General Tech H1 rims

ALF

SURE!?
H1 hummer rims....Legal or No for street use?? Seems like it's a good alternative to be able to run one set of rims and be able to air down.

Discuss:D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
They are OEM and I believe they are street legal. I ran them with some SX's and couldn't drive over 35 mph. I did like them as a beadlock. However, I did NOT like them as a streetable solution. Did I mention they were heavy and wouldn't balance (or keep one) to save their life.

ALF

SURE!?
They are OEM and I believe they are street legal. I ran them with some SX's and couldn't drive over 35 mph. I did like them as a beadlock. However, I did NOT like them as a streetable solution. Did I mention they were heavy and wouldn't balance (or keep one) to save their life.

Thats what I'm looking for:D

I was thinking the reason there is no DOT approval is the balancing issue, not sure how you could ever get the outer bead to be even enough to balance a beadlock without a sh!tload of weight.

Please continue:D

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was thinking the reason there is no DOT approval is the balancing issue, not sure how you could ever get the outer bead to be even enough to balance a beadlock without a sh!tload of weight.

Well, they must have geniuses at AM General then, as the first years of civilian Hummers all had those same rims on them, and I don't remember hearing of all the problems they had balancing them. :D And those rims were DOT approved or they wouldn't have been on a production vehicle. ;)

redneckbronco

I ran 33x12.5x15 swampers on my dd Sammi for a year before i sold it with no issues.....but not on beadlocks or anything special

mbryson

Supporting Member
Marc, did those SX's balance better on other rims?? I haven't heard anything good about Swampers and street use, ever. :D

What's available in a 16.5" that you'd run? Would you run a 16.5" wheel other than an H1?

That's what I thought..... (and no, they didn't balance even after I balanced them)

Edit: (maybe there's a PitBull?)

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
well.. yeah. I had a K20 w/16.5 steelies, and the Burb has those awful chrome modular POS rims from the 80's, they're 16.5's... :D

But those weren't really by choice-- so to answer the question, I wouldn't CHOOSE anything but H1's. :D I keep forgetting they're 16.5's for some reason, probably because there are so %(&#@$ many of them in my damn garage. :mad:

I think it was more the tires than the rims though... or AM General was full of magical tire balancing wizards. :D

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
What's available in a 16.5" that you'd run? Would you run a 16.5" wheel other than an H1?

This raises other Q's for those of us who are kind of new to the custom building thing!

I can see that backspacing, beadlocks, & strength are advantages, but I don't see where a 16.5 wheel size is a big plus. It seems to me that there are a lot more tire options in the 15, 16, 17, & 18 inch sizes, as well as wheel choices both in style & backspacing to suit nearly every need!

I run 35's, so is it that the 38+ sizes are most commonly 16.5's??

Just curious!:busted:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
if ya start looking at 16.5's as an option... (I run em, aluminum mods, partial too em, as they came n the truck when it was new) Pit Bull is the answer.

If ya start looking at ability in offroad tires... PitBull is the answer.

If ya start looking at affordable big azz tires.. Pit is the answer...

What was the question again? Oh yeah.. Pit has the solution to running them on the street.

mbryson

Supporting Member
This raises other Q's for those of us who are kind of new to the custom building thing!

I can see that backspacing, beadlocks, & strength are advantages, but I don't see where a 16.5 wheel size is a big plus. It seems to me that there are a lot more tire options in the 15, 16, 17, & 18 inch sizes, as well as wheel choices both in style & backspacing to suit nearly every need!

I run 35's, so is it that the 38+ sizes are most commonly 16.5's??

Just curious!:busted:

Interco and PitBull. I've heard great things about Pit Bull off road, but really no reports of folks that use them on/off road. I'd imagine they'd be at least as good as an SX, but who knows? I have no experience with the PitBulls on my rig or even ran a trail with anyone that is using the tires.

The H1 wheels are an awesome way to get a double beadlock on the cheap. If you can find a tire that'd work, it'd be even better. (there's really nothing wrong with an SX. They grip "OK" and are plenty tough. They're not anywhere in the realm of any of the modern sticky tires as far as grip, but are a good trail tire and you'll only hate them at speed on the street and on cold mornings after they've been sitting all night.)