Happy 20th Birthday RME!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Happy 20th Birthday to RME4x4.com!!! 🥳

IMG_20201228_133126_448.jpg

Can't believe that it has been 20 years since RME was born. What started as a local 'club' using a bootleg copy of software has grown and changed SO MUCH over the last 20 years!

I couldn't have done it with out the support over the years, from the registered members contributing tech discussions, trip threads and just participating on the forum, thank YOU for making RME such a great place.

And many thanks to the people that have stepped up to help pay the hosting bills, all of our great advertisers and business friends that have helped, we appreciate you so much!

RME4x4 has become a huge part of my life, from the friends, to the trips and adventures, the vehicle builds and so much more its a big part of who I am and what I do. I'm very grateful for the influence of the members and friends in my life along the way!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Not sure how many remember the 1st year...
We were running a bootleg copy of vBulletin that my Brother @Joe let me use, he had started a Cycling forum and it had been growing. I knew nothing about forum software, so Joe really helped my get the place up and running. I wanted to learn more about computers, the internet, websites, etc. I seriously knew NOTHING... but I liked 4x4's. :D

I wanted something like Pirate4x4, but for Utah not North California. I checked out Pirate the summer of '98... probably would have been member # 200, had i registered then. I saw the potential in a forum for 4x4's in Utah, but was more interested in using it as a Club with my friends.

We officially went online just after Christmas, 2000. RME grew like crazy, probably around 500-600 registered members in the first year, the forum was getting pretty good participation and we were paying a friend of a friend for hosting. Some miscommunication happened and the guy wiped his server clean and totally destroyed our community... no database backup, nothing. It was ALL gone.

I debated forgetting about running a forum, was pretty torn up about loosing everything we had worked for. After some pushing from a bunch of members and friends, we went legit.... bought a vBulletin license and started paying for professional hosting. RME was back!

We started over, but within several months it was obvious that bringing RME back was the right choice!

Not long after that, Shane joined and it was obvious he could possibly help... I approached @Herzog about assisting me run RME. He is a computer guy... I am not! It was a great choice to bring him in, Shane really helped me grow and guide RME over the years!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Wow had no idea about the first iteration. I assumed I joined just after inception. Can’t remember my member number but it’s pretty low. Glad you brought it back, also not glad it’s like crack can’t stop.