Wanted Heavy Duty Trailer

I’m going to be needing a heavy trailer to haul a 9k excavator. Gooseneck or bumper pull. Willing to rent or buy at a reasonable price. Let me know if you’ve got something.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That's load! My 14k deckover 28' goose is 5900 lbs. You'd be overweight with a tandem axle, single tire. I think you're good if you have dually tires on each side though? Hope that helps. I tow frequently right at 8k on the trailer and 800 lbs on the truck. Mine would do it but I'd be concerned about long runs and long term usage with out the training wheels.

I'd trade the trailer for your semi-hauler for sure :D

That's load! My 14k deckover 28' goose is 5900 lbs. You'd be overweight with a tandem axle, single tire. I think you're good if you have dually tires on each side though? Hope that helps. I tow frequently right at 8k on the trailer and 800 lbs on the truck. Mine would do it but I'd be concerned about long runs and long term usage with out the training wheels.

I'd trade the trailer for your semi-hauler for sure :D
Ha! Not ready to let the semi go for that!

I was guesstimating that a trailer like that wouldn't weigh quite that much, but makes sense.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My 14k bumper pull heavy equipment trailer is 42-500 lbs I think. Problem is the tires aren't 4k rated maybe 3200 or 3500 each.
It's a tricky number to tow that load often. I've done it but I was at 90% truck was fine but still.

RockChucker

How long? I have a 16’ 14k trailer I’d sell. I’m not sure what it weighs though. You’d probably be close to 14k lbs with that excavator.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 14k dump trailer and it weighs right at 3k. I don't know if your excavator will fit on 14', I just thought I would offer up an example for you to look for. I use mine too often to rent it out.

How long? I have a 16’ 14k trailer I’d sell. I’m not sure what it weighs though. You’d probably be close to 14k abs with that excavator.
Assuming a bumper pull? I'm not sure if it would work. The machine is only 16' long folded up, but most of the weight is concentrated in 7'. I guess I need to get my calculator out if I don't want to do trial and error. Is this a standard Big Tex/PJ/Bubbas or something? If not, and you get a chance, tell me how long the tongue is and how far from the hitch to the center of the tandems.

RockChucker

Yes it is a bumper pull. I can't remember the brand. It is very well built. I'll get some pics and can get some measurements when I get off work tonight. It has brakes on both axles as well.

I have a 14k dump trailer and it weighs right at 3k. I don't know if your excavator will fit on 14', I just thought I would offer up an example for you to look for. I use mine too often to rent it out.
This may be even handier since I will need to dump stuff too. I was thinking a dump trailer would be even heavier than a flatbed... I guess I need to figure out where the excavator would have to sit and how far it would hang out the back on a 12-16ft dump trailer or on RockChuckers

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Weight distribution will be very critical with that much mass on a short trailer. One trick I use for loading trailers is to measure the distance from level ground to a fixed point at the rear of the tow vehicle with the trailer empty. Then measure the distance with the trailer loaded. By moving the load back and forth, the optimal droop on my truck is from 1 inch to 1.5 inches. This gives me proper tongue weight. Of course, your truck and trailer combination should be different. This is better than hoping for decent tongue weight by guess work.

RockChucker

The tongue is 60” long and 173.5” from center of ball to center of tandems. 95” between the rails

Attachments

• 1DB75121-3B63-4D6A-BD9E-A4389525BEE8.jpeg
    1DB75121-3B63-4D6A-BD9E-A4389525BEE8.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for gathering the info - I'm going to have to think about that. I did my calculations of what it would take to get 1000-1200 lb tongue weight. Based on my assumptions, I'd have to overhang the tongue about 3' if I put it on forward and it would hang off the back about 5' if I back it on the preferred way. I think either way, the bucket would be solidly on the trailer bed, so likely safe, but that is a lot of overhang sticking out. I would have to put a flag on the end of the boom every time I move it.