Help bars and levers

zukijames

I need new bars for my xr200

and Maddie could use new bars (also taller bars) and needs a new clutch assembly(cable style)

would it be best just to take my bars of and take them to Rocky Mountain atv?

Also Maddies carb the float is sticking (I think) it leaks fuel seems to be alot worse up the canyon? Maybe needs cleaned and a smaller main jet?

Tonkaman

Handlebars come in a variety of height and sweep so try to figure out what you would like to change about your bars before shopping. Stock bar diameter is 7/8" but many after market bars come in 1 1/8" for extra strength.

Is the clutch lever broken? Why do you need a new assembly?

If you are familiar with carburetors on a car then motorcycle work should be a breeze, otherwise you might have someone tear it apart

Caleb

Stock bars could actually be either size, (my stock ones are 1 1/8" for example). Chances are, yours will be 7/8". You can upgrade to 1 1/8" if you want, you will just have to buy new mounts. Like Trevor said, figure out what you are looking for in your next set of bars, taller, wider, shorter, etc. Then get some measurements off yours, and then go match up what bar fits your needs.

Tonkaman

Adjusting the width of the bar will give you more power to maneuver the bike. The best way IMO is to drop down into push-up position, do 10 push-ups and hold the last one, then have your wife measure the distance between the outside of your hands. That measurement is now transferred to your bars. Keep in mind that your grips will stick out past your hands a little so accommodate for that before cutting

Caleb

What kind did you get? I have neken bars on mine right now, they feel like they're a foot wider than what I'm used to. In reality they are probably no more than an inch or so wider. I like the Pro Taper KX High Bend bars which I believe are about 31" wide. All their bars are about the same width, their Woods Bend bars are the narrowest at I believe ~30". Point is, a little bit can feel like a lot, the actuality is it probably won't make a difference on hitting more things with them, it will just feel different.

Last edited:

Caleb

Just be careful cutting them down. Depending on how your brake, clutch, etc fit, you may end of with a worthless set of bars. I know on all my pro tapers, by the time I get the throttle tube (or grip), clutch perch (or brake perch), etc on I have maybe 1/2" of bar I could trim if I crammed everything on there. I also hate having a little stubby grip like a lot of guys will do to make do. Just because there are marks to help narrow your bars does not mean they will still be usable, make sure you've verified measurements of all your stuff on your bars.

Tonkaman

Just be careful cutting them down. Depending on how your brake, clutch, etc fit, you may end of with a worthless set of bars. I know on all my pro tapers, by the time I get the throttle tube (or grip), clutch perch (or brake perch), etc on I have maybe 1/2" of bar I could trim if I crammed everything on there. I also hate having a little stubby grip like a lot of guys will do to make do. Just because there are marks to help narrow your bars does not mean they will still be usable, make sure you've verified measurements of all your stuff on your bars.

Very true I've made some handlebars into scrap metal before. I recently learned that locking grips are a little longer than standard grips, making my old bars too narrow