help me choose my next bike

sixstringsteve

It should come to no surprise to anyone here that I'm ready to try a different motorcycle. I LOVE my bike right now, but it's way too tall for me. I feel like it's taking me for a ride, rather than me controlling it. I crash more on this bike than any other, and I feel exhausted when I have to pick it up and try to kickstart it without falling over on the trail. It's been a blast, but I'm ready for something a little more laid back.

Now, before you tell me to get a lowering link, I've tried that on my old kdx, and I'll never use a lowering link again on any bike due to the messed up geometry (even after raising the forks in the triple clamps.)

Also, sometimes you don't know what'll suit your needs best 'till you try it for a while, or sometimes your needs change. While I've only had this bike for about 3 months, I've put at least 20 rides on it.

here are my criteria:

1) I MUST be able to touch the ground on it. I tried the whole ricky charmichael thing with one leg over the seat, but it doesn't work for me, especially at stoplights. I have an inseam of 29-30". I don't need to be able to flat-foot, but I do need to at least be able to touch both toes to the ground. For reference, my xt225 seat height was 32", and it was perfect. My CR125 is 37.3", way too tall.

2) It needs to be able to carry 2 people with a set of footpegs for the rear rider. I'd like to be able to take my wife up the canyon on it.

3) I want it to be more laid back than a motocross bike. It needs to be able to handle fire roads and af canyon singletrack. I'm thinking i want a 4-stroke again. I don't want to blast down the roads and jump of every rock, but I want to be able to putt around on it, and explore. I wouldn't mind it if I could tackle the moab trails like hell's revenge on it.

4) I don't need tons of power. My xt225 had plenty of power. I think a 200 would be fine. i'd rather have light weight than lots of power.

5) I don't plan on ever taking it on the freeway, so 55/60 mph is about the max that I need. a 6th gear would sure be nice, but not essential.

6) my budget is $2500 or less (once I sell or trade my current bike.) I don't mind older bikes as long as they're reliable and easy/cheap to service.

Which bikes should I be looking at?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here are some bikes I am considering:

- Yamaha XT225, it was a great little bike. I wouldn't mind another one of those.
- TTR230
- tw200
- xr200
- DR200
- Super Sherpa
- KLX250???

A scorpa t-ride seems like an awesome solution as well. I love the thought of a little bike that can crawl up obstacles like a trials bike, but still have a seat and a bigger tank. I've ridden a trials bike around a parking lot, and while it was fun, I don't think I'd enjoy that riding position all day.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Steve, this might sound crazy but bear with me here.

Mid 80's Yamaha IT200 ;) If you haven't looked into these you should. They are the WR's older brother and honestly one of the most capable trail bikes I've ever been around. I know a few people that ride these and prefer them over new bikes. I'm very sure you could touch the ground on one, and you can find them for pretty cheap nowadays (if you can find one :-\), they're light, plenty powerful and they are bomb proof.

If you ever make it up this way I could show you my friends collection. I'm sure he'd let you ride one too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Yama...GAfH-sQLWpcDMBA&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=588

muleskinner

So I guess I can't interest you in a killer XR650R with 750 miles on it:D I've been riding it every night, but my carpal tunnel is getting unbearable:sick: I could barely ride home on Sunday night.

My brother has a cherry old IT175 sitting in his garage. I'll ask him about it if you are interested.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So I guess I can't interest you in a killer XR650R with 750 miles on it:D I've been riding it every night, but my carpal tunnel is getting unbearable:sick: I could barely ride home on Sunday night.

That really sucks Scott, bikes are pretty good at finding your bodies weak spots. :( Thanks to motorcycles, I've found a couple of mine. :-\

Greg

Admin
Steve, any chance of swinging 2 bikes? It would be tons of fun to have a older, cheap-ish trials bike and some kind of dedicated trail bike, whatever that may be.

IMO a KDX200 is hard to beat, but you know that. A TTR 225 seems OK... beyond that, I don't know too much about the smaller bikes.

rholbrook

Another option is to add a few more inches to the bottom of your boots. I had a kid in my 2nd grade class that had a good 4 inches of rubber on the bottom of his right shoe. Maybe you could have a shoe repair place add some to your boots. See...problem solved.

rholbrook

My brother has a cherry old IT175 sitting in his garage. I'll ask him about it if you are interested.

If your wearing gloves, try a different pair that aren't so tight. I am the same way if my gloves are too tight.

sixstringsteve

my carpal tunnel is getting bad too. I think I could handle a more laid back, lazy ride, but my cr just requires too much manhandling.

Andrew, I'd love to throw my leg over an it200, those look kinda cool.

rholbrook

I neighbor had an IT175 when I was like 13. He let me ride it and it was fast. I loved riding it.

How many inches too tall is your bike? I know if you buy a smaller bike, you could get the Big Wheel versions of most of them. What if you got smaller rims and tires and relaced the hubs to the smaller hoops. Don't know anyone that has done that but I would think it could work. What do you all think?

sixstringsteve

Steve, any chance of swinging 2 bikes? It would be tons of fun to have a older, cheap-ish trials bike and some kind of dedicated trail bike, whatever that may be.

IMO a KDX200 is hard to beat, but you know that. A TTR 225 seems OK... beyond that, I don't know too much about the smaller bikes.

I don't think I could swing two right now, money's too tight. I love my bike. If it were 4 inches shorter, I'd be hanging onto it. No doubt those KDX's are killer bikes. I think my bike's the perfect trail bike, I"m just not the perfect height to ride it :(

I'm pretty sure I want a 4 stroke so I can be lazy on the trail and just chug up stuff. I also want something I can commute on if necessary.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Steve, are you familiar with the Honda Reflex TLR200? Sounds like it might be just what you're looking for... if you can find one.

**EDIT** - I'd look hard at a TW200... seems like a mountain goat of a bike, low seat height, street legal, etc.

sixstringsteve

Last edited:

Caleb

I'm just seeing this thread (currently out of the country) but I'll suggest the same thing I suggested for you last time, a tw200. They are low seat height, mountain goats, that are street legal. New they are around $3500, so used should fit in to your budget no problem.

More than your budget but the 2t ktms are super easy to ride. I love my 300, but I hear the 200 is even easier to ride. Something to consider with your current bike (if it's available) is a rekluse. The auto clutches make riding any bike tons easier. If you were interested, I'd let you borrow my 300 for a day to see how you like it. It has a rekluse and all. Selling your bike may be tough, really selling any hybrid bike will be tough, and I doubt you'll get anywhere near real world value for it. I agree with you, skip the lowering link.

sixstringsteve

thanks for the info Caleb. yeah, selling my bike will be really tough. I knew that going into it. I'm trying to set up a ride with scott (thefirstzukman) tomorrow, his brother in law has a tw200 for me to try.

I think a rekluse would really help me, but I still find myself tipping over a lot due to not being able to touch the ground. After picking my bike up 4+ times, I'm done for the day.

Caleb

I hear what you're saying about picking up your bike many times a day, I was the same way my crf. Once I got my rekluse, I stopped dropping it almost all together because when I was stopping, running a technical section of the trail, etc I had only one thing on my mind at a time, the clutch was no longer a concern. Also because of this, the rest of the ride was more enjoyable as well which made it so I didn't get so worn out. Like I said, borrow my bike for a day, even though it's a bigger bike (300), I'm willing to bet you are less worn out on it at the end of the day than you are on your bike. :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Steve, just a quick quick thought where do you have your suspension set on your CR? If there is one thing I have learned throughout the years it is that suspension will make you or break a rider on the trail. I have my comp/rebound maxed out on the softest setting on my CR and it is still a bit harsh for trail duty (stock CR suspension is obviously designed for motocross usage which is on the opposite side of the spectrum). Ultimately you want your suspension valved for your riding style and sprung for your weight. The stock CR suspension can work decent for your needs right now, but you will likely need to soften it up a LOT if not all the way. Having better control will also help you when it comes to dumping the bike especially if you are adsorbing the rocks/trail junk and not bouncing off of it :-\ I'm betting you aren't going very fast at all when you are dumping the bike correct?

By all means ride Caleb's KTM! and see what proper (trail) suspension and can do for a bike. It takes a lot of change to make a motocross bike a trail bike--and re-working the gearing (you've already taken care of that) and suspension setup are priority number 1. That chassis is one of the very best out there imo but I think you may need a little more setup to get the full potential of it.