HELP! Need advice / info on a problem with a house I'm buying.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Me and my wife are expecting our first kid in a month (or so) and the house we are renting is way too small as it is let alone bring a kid in the mix so we started looking to buy a house.

A good friend of mine lives out in a place called south rim out in Stockton and fell in love with the place so I was hoping to get a house out there luckily we found one that was in our price range and didn't have to build.

We both like the house but the problem is the seller the seller is also the realtor and she's driving us crazy. Lol

The biggest issue is they also own the 1-acre lot right next to the house that they are selling separately and they have placed the propane tank for the house I'm buying on that lot.
Of course they say it's right on the boundary but it is not over.

And they are refusung to pay for a guy to come survey the property to find out.

There are 3 property boundary marks that are pretty close and she said i should be able to figure it out, so i went out and measured out the property and I found its over the property line and I got the tooele lot mape witch says the same.

But she is insisting that its right on the line but not over it and there not paying to move the tank.

We are on a major time crunch with everything, closing on the 11/20, baby due 12/7, need to give our landlord notice on the 1st so we dont half to pay December's rent.

So im freaking out on what to do.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

broncomitch

Me and my wife are expecting our first kid in a month (or so) and the house we are renting is way too small as it is let alone bring a kid in the mix so we started looking to buy a house.

A good friend of mine lives out in a place called south rim out in Stockton and fell in love with the place so I was hoping to get a house out there luckily we found one that was in our price range and didn't have to build.

We both like the house but the problem is the seller the seller is also the realtor and she's driving us crazy. Lol

The biggest issue is they also own the 1-acre lot right next to the house that they are selling separately and they have placed the propane tank for the house I'm buying on that lot.
Of course they say it's right on the boundary but it is not over.

And they are refusung to pay for a guy to come survey the property to find out.

There are 3 property boundary marks that are pretty close and she said i should be able to figure it out, so i went out and measured out the property and I found its over the property line and I got the tooele lot mape witch says the same.

But she is insisting that its right on the line but not over it and there not paying to move the tank.

We are on a major time crunch with everything, closing on the 11/20, baby due 12/7, need to give our landlord notice on the 1st so we dont half to pay December's rent.

So im freaking out on what to do.

Thanks for the help guys.
Measured from the green electric box 204' over and placed marker.
Went from fencing stake/pvc (seller says that the property stake) and went up to 204' stake.
c6355c5674480785332ff5845293f9f9.jpg
bd4ae5488102dcab14b1890e63d1f37d.jpg
fa2461bb458b0de3acb7567a6ffac76c.jpg
5370eb476b61741e406489d9055fcbde.jpg
c14ba9a847e5ca6cde42c4b046fef1b8.jpg
b13db179af8c0ff2d551e85bc0172713.jpg
3369ef84a63f1b97b2e849c4b1276fcb.jpg
aa6bcbfa9c0892699e38f02dc1a6ae8d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So have you put an offer on it or just talked with her? If no offer yet, you can just put a contingency on your offer that it requires an independent survey by a surveyor you both agree to (paid by them or split?) and that everything that is included with the home is within the property boundaries. You still need to decide what you would do if they refuse the contingency, which could be likely in this market.

Caleb

Do you mind paying to move it? If you do then make them do it or walk. No reason to accept something you're not happy with. Being completely honest, I doubt that's an extremely high demand area, which means finding buyers takes a lot more patience and time. They've given you bad/incorrect information and if they aren't willing to correct it then I'd walk. OR make them include the bit of land it's on in your sale. That will make the sale of that lot a bit tougher, but there's no reason they couldn't do that too.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Pay for a surveyor, negotiate the cost of the surveyor and the cost to move the tank off the final price.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
What is the cost to move the tank? I can’t imagine it is too much.
Buy it as it is, move the tank when/if the buyers of the lot figure it out and ask you to move it.

Or, just buy the lot next door also :)

broncomitch

We went back and forth on a price then settled and went ynder contract.

Just did the inspection and they fixed the major issues (code or saftey items).
The mortgage company needs to send out there appraiser and everything is good to go apart from this tank issue.

We really like the house and we like the area it's in and such.
It hasn't been hi market area until lately, within the past year I would say probably 17 houses or so have been built in pase 3 but they will probably sit on the lot for awile, my mother inlaw was thinking about buying the empty lot and sitting on it if the price goes down a little.

The house is at the top of our budget so we can't afford to buy it.
I found out my realtor hasn't sent her the pictures and information I got off the Tooele website yet so I guess he's going to send those and call her.

I'm not sure how much it will cost to relocate the tank, it's more of a labor thing than anything because I'll need to relocate the tank pour a new pad for it,run new gas lines to it from the house and restore that area of the property that it was on.
They own the tank so I can do whatever I want with it but if we sell the tank and lease one the company will install it for free but I have to pay a monthly fee to have my tank on top of filling it. I do have a friend that lives close by and he has a tractor so we can move it if the sellers won't when that time comes worst case scenario.

I called a few surveying companies and they're booked for months..

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
We went back and forth on a price then settled and went ynder contract.

Just because you're under contract for a price doesn't mean thats the final price. You can negotiate up until you close. If the market is hot in the neighborhood you might be screwed, if its not certainly negotiate cost of relocating or getting 5 more feet of land off the unbuilt parcel

xjtony

That's a great area. We almost bought one of the houses down there before we ended up in Grantsville.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
Last time I was out there. At the local gas station there was a grungy prostitute doing a drug deal with some 20 yr old, right out front. Ghetto.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

broncomitch

Just because you're under contract for a price doesn't mean thats the final price. You can negotiate up until you close. If the market is hot in the neighborhood you might be screwed, if its not certainly negotiate cost of relocating or getting 5 more feet of land off the unbuilt parcel

Right, but she wont lower the price or fix the issue until shes proven wrong on its location.

Going out there tonight to measure it out with them to find out.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The deal breaker for me is the chance the mother in law might but the lot next door. Trust me I know a few guys that have made that mistake. You don’t want to go there.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
JMHO - Keep renting. Having a kid and moving are in the top most stressful life events, why combine them?

Space doesn't matter as much as you think. I just finished up living with our fam of 4 in 300 square feet, wasn't a big deal, could have done it for years.

Not a good market to buy anyway.

gatchmo5710

Buy the house. Let your kid smash his face on the tank. Take the lot owner to court. Retire happy...

That's all I got.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I would also look at how far from the property line the tank needs to rest. Just moving the tank to your side may not be enough. We have a 10' set back in Holladay.

DAA

Supporting Member
You have a built-in easement issue with the propane tank. It IS on the lot next door. You'll HAVE to deal with that, one way or another, sooner or later, but you WILL have to deal with it. So, built in PITA comes with the house. That would be enough to make me just say "no". There are too many other fish in the sea that don't come with so much automatic built-in PITA to bite on the one deal that has it included. It's a big world out there! Literally thousands of homes for sale that don't have this bull crap tied around them like a bow. Tell the seller to accommodate you or pound sand. That simple. In my mind anyway.

But... that is just ants in the afterbirth.

Your MIL is looking at buying the lot next door? Run the eff away!!! RUN!!!!

- DAA

broncomitch

Haha,

I well i went out again and measured the Lots with neighboring Lots with an measuring tape not just a random guess and proved the sellers wrong and the tank is over the property line but they still refuse to move it.

I guess the propane guy got wind of it and he's going to move it for free.