help on a good set of springs

val gibson

hi
i have a 75 cj5 with the stock leaf springs. i dont think i want to do a spring over yet, but i do want a couple inches of lift. i think i want 2" for now, but the experience i have with these lift springs is that the ride quality is similar to a tank, and nothing is gained as far as articulation. does anybody know of a good set of springs that will give 2" of lift or so, still have a good ride quality, and give me a little more articulation?

i would imagine a spring that would give me these benefits is probably kind of soft. if so would they start to sag over time? how long would this take?
thanks
val

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I had good luck with Skyjacker Softride. Get the 4" springs, they will settel down to 3" in no time. Also, check with Cruiseroutfit, he sales Old Man Emue (sp) and I hear they are the sh!t.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Problem is a '75 has the narrow/short springs. It is hard to make a good spring given those attributes. You can upgrade to a YJ spring, but it takes some fab work. More difficult than if it was a later model.
Staying with what you have I would say skyjacker/superlift/rancho would be the best bet. Stay away from the cheaper ones, you get what you pay for....
You could go with custom springs....but that is sort of a waste of money given the spring set up you have....even custom ones won't ride/work well being short and narrow.

Caleb

I dont know if they offer springs for your rig but check into Old Man Emu...from what I ahve heard they ride awesome and they last pretty well too. The main downside with them has always been they only offer small lifts (2-2.5" generally) so these springs should be right up your alley...as rckcrlr mentioned, you get what you pay for. The cheap ones will ride like a cheap spring should.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Shawn said:
I had good luck with Skyjacker Softride. Get the 4" springs, they will settel down to 3" in no time. Also, check with Cruiseroutfit, he sales Old Man Emue (sp) and I hear they are the sh!t.

I don't think OME makes springs for the older style.

val gibson

i wouldnt mind doing what would seem to be a simple thing of welding on some wider spring mounts so i can run wider springs if that would help. thanks for the help so far i will check into these suggestions
val

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
rckcrlr said:
I don't think OME makes springs for the older style.

Thanks for the props Shawn :D

Mark is correct, I just double checked... :(

OME doesn't make a spring for the older Jeeps, mainly due to the fact they wern't heavily exported to Aus until the invent of the Wrangler.

For reference, OME does make applications for the following Jeeps:
99+ WJ
93-98 ZJ
84-01 XJ
All Year KJ's
97+ TJ's
86-96 YJ's

No CJ's :(