help wanted

redd7

I don't know if this is appropriate, and if it's not, I'm sure someone will tell me. I am looking for some one that would like to work full or part time building 2 or 3 project jeeps. I had a mechanic that was doing the work part time but is now unavailable. Located in West Jordan

Second what would be a fair hourly rate?

this would be great for some one that wanted to work at their own schedule. If interested please get in touch with me.

Last edited:

richpblaze

Labor rates

redd7 said:
I don't know if this is appropriate, and if it's not, I'm sure someone will tell me. I am looking for some one that would like to work full or part time building 2 or 3 project jeeps. I had a mechanic that was doing the work part time but is now unavailable.

Second what would be a fair hourly rate?

this would be great for some one that wanted to work at their own schedule. If interested please get in touch with me.

I don't know anyone who knows what they're doing that will work for less than $45.00 an hour, Probably $ 65.00 an hour will get you quality work. :rofl: :rofl: Blaze

redd7

All would be for recreation.
Project #1
Jeep scrambler, needs to be assembled from the ground up. I have a matkins frame that has been painted. I have a Cummins 4bt that I would like to put in it. For axles I have a narrowed 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt rear. I have an old scrambler for misc. parts. I would like to put a fiberglass body on it but I do not have that yet.

Project #2 my running 77 cj7. I would like to swap out the moter for a chevy 350 that I have in my garage. swap axles, new body.

Project #3 I have a a running 91 warangler chassis that I woul like to mount a mj7 fiberglass body to. I have the chassis and I have the body.

more projects to come..

I hope to find some one that is mechanically minded that enjoys this type of work. I am not sure that I can afford an ASE certified rocket sientist. I personnally am a mechanically retarded and I can do most of this if given enough time. But time is the problem. If some one has some they would like to sell reasonabley. I'm buying.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I am puzzled........what is so time consuming that you can't work on your own junk?

I mean most of us that do this barely have time to work on our own junk, that is why some people take them to the many shops in town. That have people who do this for a living ie:

Rocklogic

Anarchy off road

FTM

have you tried talking with any of these places?

P

pokeyYJ

I too am puzzled? :confused:

Are you in time constraints that you do not have time to do it yourself? Not trying to flame you but it seems strange to have someone else build your rig. I think that it would make more sense to price out some local shops like James mentioned.

redd7

I may do that, contact the shops in the area. To be honest I was unaware that there were shops that specialized in jeeps other than mepco.
I had hoped to keep my projects at my home where I could help as time permits and/or do the less technical work. And part of it is to be cheap. I understand that with the expenses and overhead that goes into running a shop that the hourly rate would be that much higher.
At the pices Blaze stated ($45 - $65 per hour)that's $90,000 to $130,000 per year. I may be wrong but I don't think that I am looking for that level of expertise. I do appriciate everyones feed back though.

Bud

'98 ZJ
also...Sky's Extreme is up in Clearfield, that's where I'm at. If you can get a tech from any of the above shops, good luck, they're mostly tired of working on their own projects and customers....but I know a couple of guys that used to work for me that might come down to sell you some time. If you can get someone to come to your house and you provide most of what they need, then go buy about the price they actually make at their shops....$8/hr for a newer tech up to about $20/hr....that'd be fair to me

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
redd7 said:
To be honest I was unaware that there were shops that specialized in jeeps other than mepco.

that is the coolest thing i have ever heard! :D
yes there are other, better shops than mepco.
i have dealt with rocklogic and anarchy quite a bit and they are both awesome shops, just see who will fit your requirements the best.

hey bud,
who is tired of working on their own projects and customers?? that is crazy talk. both those shops go to the wall for customers, they both have great service!

redd7, look up rocklogic and anarchy on here and you will find all compliments to their service.

Last edited:
S

sukaB

Bud said:
also...Sky's Extreme is up in Clearfield, that's where I'm at. If you can get a tech from any of the above shops, good luck, they're mostly tired of working on their own projects and customers....but I know a couple of guys that used to work for me that might come down to sell you some time. If you can get someone to come to your house and you provide most of what they need, then go buy about the price they actually make at their shops....$8/hr for a newer tech up to about $20/hr....that'd be fair to me

WTF
Don't know if I'm reading this right,,,, I hope I'm not...
First of all nice shop plug!
Second who are you to talk about people you have no idea about.
I have no idea who you are until this post! hence I would never post something like this about anyone unless I was asked directly about certain folk and I still wouldnt do it on open forum.
I know myself and other shop named are totally anal about getting the job done right (THE FIRST TIME) and taking care of people first.
But we won't go into anything else here so as I'm not to be hurtful.
If my shop charges 50 dollars an hour that doesnt mean I make that and put it in my pocket..That means my facilities power, welder, plasma,bender, shop supplies, oil dump, chop saws, and other employee's are covered by that 50 an hour so don't act like we are all paid like rocket scientist's :-\ :confused:
DONE HERE

Side note:
James K can you please edit your post appropriately to alphabatize your spelling's
It goes like this
A
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
Get me!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
sukaB said:
Side note:
James K can you please edit your post appropriately to alphabatize your spelling's
It goes like this
A
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
Get me!
:rofl: :rofl:

There is something to be said for a shop that has the right tools and know how. The poster has 2 or 3 projects I would recommend doing them one at a time, If he doesn't like the first shop or wants to check out more than one to get a feel of the shops in the area he has some options.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
sukaB said:
WTF
Don't know if I'm reading this right,,,, I hope I'm not...
First of all nice shop plug!
Second who are you to talk about people you have no idea about.
I have no idea who you are until this post! hence I would never post something like this about anyone unless I was asked directly about certain folk and I still wouldnt do it on open forum.
I know myself and other shop named are totally anal about getting the job done right (THE FIRST TIME) and taking care of people first.
But we won't go into anything else here so as I'm not to be hurtful.
If my shop charges 50 dollars an hour that doesnt mean I make that and put it in my pocket..That means my facilities power, welder, plasma,bender, shop supplies, oil dump, chop saws, and other employee's are covered by that 50 an hour so don't act like we are all paid like rocket scientist's :-\ :confused:
DONE HERE

I don't think he was saying that--the way I take it is that he's unlikely to get someone who works at a shop to go to his house after-hours and work on his stuff. They get enough of that during the day, plus working on their own junk in the evenings.

Am I close Bud?

Ohms

'Poser Wheeler
I Lean said:
I don't think he was saying that--the way I take it is that he's unlikely to get someone who works at a shop to go to his house after-hours and work on his stuff. They get enough of that during the day, plus working on their own junk in the evenings.

Am I close Bud?

I would fully agree with both you and Suka...If you want someone qualified to work on your junk, the best place to find them is a FAB SHOP...Or a shop specializing in what you need. Do you have a welder in your garage? Or tools, or a compressor?
All of these things are exactly why shops charge what they charge-not because they are"Rocket Scientists"
And I second what Carl says about not wanting to work on sh!t after hours- I am the prime example.....Just my.02

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ohms is correct. Most people willing to do the work you need are either employed in one of these shops, or bogged down in their own projects. You likely don't have the tools that most of these people would want/need to use to work at your place.