Jeep Help with JK Death Wobble

nickcoleman

My 08 Jeep JK is suffering from an occasional Death Wobble when hitting a bump while turning left at speed. For example (for those in the Salt Lake City Area), there is a bump on I80 East bound just after I215 splits off before Parleys -- JK will go into the death wobble almost 100% of the time if I'm in the left lane.

I've followed the diagnostics from the death wobble video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQwlmlhiF4) but still can't isolate the problem.

If anyone has advice/can help ... it would be appreciated. Or, recommend a shop around Salt Lake City that is good with Jeep suspension diagnostics (vs trying to sell parts that might mask but not fix the problem).

The JK has a stock suspension except that I've added a 1" spacer (to offset the steel bumper/winch) on the front and replaced the springs with JKU springs (about 1" of height). Have the stock 32" BFG mud terrains.

Last edited:

Jeromy

Death wobble on the few jeeps I helped figure out was always a track bar issue. I would really make sure its got good bushings, bracket holes are not wallowed out and that bolts are torqued correctly.

I really like spikes A&D in West Jordan for when I need help. He's a great dude.

capt scotty

There were some JKs where the bolt for the tracking bar was smaller in diameter than the hole in the bracket. this caused it to wallow out over time. Even with correct torque it would move. need to replace with the correct size grade 8 to solve. Maybe this will help your situation. some of the Jeep specific forums have details about it.

I am piggybacking to ths thread. I too have a 08 JK unlimited sahara. have been chasing the wobble for months. new track bar, bigger bolts in holes, properly torqued all bolts, new draglink and link from box to knuckle, new steering damper, new shocks. all bushings look tight on control arms. jeep is stock suspension with 99k miles on it. tires have been switched to eliminate cause. it only happens when hitting a bump at speed. alignment was done and all in green but maybe some tweaking needs to be done there? what is optimum caster and toe in for this jeep (not lifted)

neagtea

Supporting Member
did the wobble start before the smallish lift or after?
Tie rods? Track bar bushing or bolt?
Ball joints? Jack up and use a long bar under tire and check for up/down play and grab tire at 12 and 6 and wiggle, while you are at it grab 9 and 3, wiggle and pay close attention to all the rod ends also.
I am not sure but can you put a little more preload on say the upper joint like the older ones? (Haven't messed with a lot of JK's)
Tire balance?
If all are good put a little more caster in it as you changed it by the 2" you raised it.