Help with mobile credit card processing options.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
My wife is looking for a mobile credit card reader to use for some home business ventures. There is the Square option, but I found this article, which has some good options to Square - some of which don't even require a separate card reader - just an app, which is a bonus (my wife is tough on hardware.:eek:)

Does RME have experience/recommendations?:)

hoosier

mtn yot
I use the square for my clothing line and it works well. I like the notifications it sends to my email. we also use the square at my work

Caleb

I've used several, including square, back when I had my paintball business as 95% of my business was done at the paintball field. Back then, mobile credit card processing was a pretty new thing so I'm sure a lot has changed and there are infinitely more options now. Does she already have a card processor the app will need to be compatible with or will she need that too? I used Credit Card Terminal with my Stripe.com merchant account, I liked this one the best. Looks like they are offerings a free card reader. Again, card readers on your phone was new, back then square was the only option and I got in on their beta to get mine. I also used Swipe Credit Card Terminal for iPhone with both my Stripe merchant account and with my Authorize.net merchant account.

My biggest issue with Square now days is they have been pretty public about their anti-firearm policies.

If she needs a merchant account, look at Stripe.com, they used to be fairly easy to get setup and have rates that are the same as most low volume merchants. They are also very easy to integrate in to a website and there's lots of integrations out there for different carts, etc. Authorize.net is the big boy and if she's doing enough volume, they're worth it IMO.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I don't think anything will need to be tied to a website, and we don't currently have any reader or app (she can't currently accept CC's at all.)

If Square doesn't like guns, I don't like Square. Easy decision there.

I'm not sure if she needs a merchant account or not... I guess I don't even know what it means.:rofl:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Stripe is amazing, but I do all my entering manually through their dashboard. I have no experience with their card readers setup, and mostly I use it as a subscription payment system.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Square is super expensive if you do any reasonable amount of volume. It's also affiliated with Apple, so I question whether it would consistently work in the field (nothing from apple ever seems to work when you need it).

We can process cards in the field, but it just works through our existing merchant service provider. They are also customers of mine, and super nice guys. If you want, PM or text me and I'll give you their info. They can at least tell you what your options are.

Cody

Caleb

Not sure where you got that square and apple are affiliated but in everything I can see there is no affiliation. In fact there's many articles about apple pay competing and maybe killing square.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't know either. For some reason it was in my head that they were one and the same....could be mistaken.

I use the PayPal Here app and reader... I like it for our small CC volume. Rarely use the reader actually, just manually enter the #'s... 2 different fee types for the entry as well, so keep that in mind.

4wheelair.com

Another vote for stripe. It has been a while since I last looked into it, but most were 3% and .30 per transaction. Check on when they make deposits. I believe square is the next business day. Stripe is on a rolling 7 day schedule.

Caleb

Another vote for stripe. It has been a while since I last looked into it, but most were 3% and .30 per transaction. Check on when they make deposits. I believe square is the next business day. Stripe is on a rolling 7 day schedule.

Once you have been with Stripe long enough or done enough volume with them, they move you to a 2 day deposit cycle. The 2.9%+.30 is pretty standard for low volume processors. That's why I mentioned above, Authorize.net is worth it if you do enough volume. The have a minimum monthly fee plus a per charge fee, but their per charge fees are lower than the low volume processors.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Jacey has used the PayPal Here with their swiper for several years with her dance studio, I used it at shows for my metal stuff - loved it, and I know it's what Kurt uses for shows.

I really like and recommend PayPal Here.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
PayPal looks like it is 2.7% per transaction for swiped entries - no other fee attached as far as I can tell. They do charge more (3.5% +$0.15 per) for manually entered transactions. The reader is free, with no setup, contract or long-term costs.

I like the PayPal idea because we already have an existing account...

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader#using-paypal-here

Last time I used paypal for this, it was a $30/mo fee on top of all of that. That would be awesome if they changed it.