Help

airmanwilliams

I am stuck and need some help guys. My 93 4dr manual trans sidekick broke the speedometer cable and so yesterday I put a new one in. Upon getting on the highway the speedometer quit working again. Today I took the cable off the tcase and put a drill to it hoping it worked and all I needed to replace is the plastic gear in tcase, well the new cable will not turn the speedometer cable and now I need a new cable. Any thoughts as to why its going bad?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
How does it connect to the cluster? Is that connection solid? If it's a mechanical connection, try removing the cable from the cluster and spinning the socket where it plugs in. If that turns the speedo, then you probably got a defective cable?

airmanwilliams

So backing up when you unhook both ends and run the one end with a drill does the other spin?

the bottom end spins but the upper portion seems has broke just behind the portion that sticks in the cluster. Went to lowrangeoffroad and William there thinks it may be the cluster and said that the cables sometimes hollow out the hole the cable goes into and so it doesnt turn or the gears in the speedometer are bad and broke the end of the cable. Even though the cluster seems fine to me I may take that broken end from the old cable and stick it in a drill so I can test out the other two clusters before I put them in and break another cable.

UGH I am wishing I had my POS samurai back again, it was less of a headache than this sidekick.

*UT410- Yes Lee finished the motor swap and the cable is routed the same way it was before following the body and pushed into clips on the body to keep the line. Both cables broke the same way.