Jeep help!

rifle6

Hey guys,i have a XJ problem , and thought you might be able to help.

yesterday morning the jeep would crank and crank, no start. tried it 2 more times and it fired up.

now it does it every time i shut it down, even for just a few seconds.

this jeep has always started on the 1st try, it just went to crap in 1 day,
i changed the filter, nothing..
any ideas?

Slacker

My guess would be fuel pump or pressure regulator.

If you have an electric fuel pump try cycling the key to the on position (don't crank it) let it sit for a couple of seconds then turn the key off. Do this a couple of times then see if it starts any easier.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
what year is your XJ.. some of the early years had issues with the fuel pressure regulator in the tank not holding pressure so when it goes out it does what yours is doing.. IE it takes a bit to get fuel through the system every time as it won't hold the pressure in the lines when the pump isn't going and the engine is off

rifle6

ok what is CPS?

i did put a fuel gauge in the rail and it reads 0-3 during the first 5 seconds of cranking, then on the nexkt 5 seconds it builds up pressure and fires right up.

jdub

Scrambler
My jeep started every time for 6 years till the fuel pump went out and it went in a matter of seconds. After that nothing.

rifle6

well, get ahold of this
i fixed it but it was the last thing i would have ever thought

after eliminating the pump, ( it was good) the offender reveled itself.
a .50 cent dam hose!
the 1/4 neoprene fuel hose, shaped like a "L" from the pump to the the sending unit,
this is submerged in the tank, it swells after time and sucks air.

WHAT A STUPID DESIGN! not to mention the bare wires with wire nuts going to the inside of the tank, on the pump!

how do XJ's not explode?