HEMA North America map app iPad mini

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
$20

I bought this app. It seems like a great app for people in Australia. I figured the North American version would be cool as well.

It's supposed to work offline. I downloaded my maps. But when I was offline it would not work.

The GPS doesn't even seem to be working now.

Anyone have this app? Maybe you have some ideas on how to make it work.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Have it and it works great offline with the pre-downloaded maps. I've now done a handful of trips in the U.S. and Canada with it as our sole navigation with great results.

Hiking to mines in AFC with offsite 7.5k USGS topo maps
image.jpg

Trip across UT/AZ/CO with offline maps (several layers including satellite)
image.jpg

It does have some quirks and I'm still a die hard paper map guy but I'm really enjoying their app.

McFate

Is your iPad a cellular model, or wifi only? The wifi-only iPads only get their location info when connected to the internet, and don't have a GPS chip in them. The cellular models can still get GPS info even when they're offline or in airplane mode. (You don't need a cellular contract for GPS to work, just the cellular hardware.)

I've been playing with the Hema app on my old iPad 2, which is wifi only. To get location info, I recently picked up an external Bad Elf GPS for it - the dock connector version. They pop up on eBay now & then, and that's how I got mine for a pretty good deal. I haven't taken the iPad out on any trips yet, so I've just been playing with it driving around town. So far it's been working pretty good, assuming I remember to download the maps when I'm connected to wifi.

Like Kurt mentioned, it's got some quirks, and it's kinda tricky to figure out. But the more I play with it, I'm starting to dig it. Using it got a lot easier too once I found the owner's manual online: http://help.hema-labs.com/iOS/HemaExplorerGlobal/#t=iOS/overview.htm

Still haven't figured out the best way to import a route from something like Google Earth though. Seems to work ok if I email the .kml file to myself and open it on the device, but when trying to use their website cloud sync thing, the upload page there doesn't seem to want routes, only tracks.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Anybody know how this compares to BCN? I'm about to go back to Android, and I'm thinking of picking this up.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
its cool. i guess i could just run it off my phone. my ipad isn't on the network. i already have 4 phones. dang. i was hoping I could download everything and make it work.

I was pretty sure my GPS worked on my iPad without it being connected to wifi.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Is your iPad a cellular model, or wifi only? The wifi-only iPads only get their location info when connected to the internet, and don't have a GPS chip in them. The cellular models can still get GPS info even when they're offline or in airplane mode. (You don't need a cellular contract for GPS to work, just the cellular hardware.)

My ipad mini wifi works just fine gps wise offline with no external device. I do use a garmin glo with it but that is just for better reception/accuracy in canyons

My Delorme earthmate subscription just ran out, been thinking about trying something else. Parts of the earthmate were frustrating

McFate

My ipad mini wifi works just fine gps wise offline with no external device.

Which version of the mini do you have? I was just under the impression that it was only the cellular ones that have GPS hardware in them. I'd rather have a mini to use in the truck, but I didn't have the cash for one of those, so adding the Bad Elf to my old wifi iPad 2 was a lot cheaper of an option for me.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Which version of the mini do you have? I was just under the impression that it was only the cellular ones that have GPS hardware in them. I'd rather have a mini to use in the truck, but I didn't have the cash for one of those, so adding the Bad Elf to my old wifi iPad 2 was a lot cheaper of an option for me.

Uhm, not sure what version. I can look when I get home. But its at least one generation or two old, I believe its two years old now.

Edit: It's a mini 2

Last edited: