High Stall Torque converter???

TwistedTJ

I have an 85 Toyota EFI Automatic with 35's on it. In 4 low I do not have enough power to climb steep obstacles :mad2: . I was thinking about putting a higher stall torque converter in to get the RPM's of the engine up in an effort to get into the power band of the engine.

Has anyone ever put a high stall torque converter in a Toyota pick up? Where could I get one without paying WAY to much for a custom one?

Thanks

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I don't think that will accomplish what you want....A high enough stall to do what you want would cause you to have a launching effect when it locked up. High stall also produces a lot of heat....
Ideally stall should be matched to your power and gearing....
There is no substitute for gearing....
JMHO

81Ramchargerman

I have to agree with rck...if you get a stall converter on a hill, it will 1) just try and lauch you and break stuff or make you just spin out 2) if you have your shift soft enough for it to work it would heat everything up way to much and probably just burn stuff up... I'm no expert but those are pretty much the two main situations that I see happening.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Whats the current axle gearing and engine sze? If your running 35's on a 6cyl you should be able to get by with 4.56, with a 4 popper, you should look into the 4.88-5.13 range.

TwistedTJ

its a 4 cyl with and automatic with 4.30 gears with 35" tires locked front and rear.

I am not so sure I would get much of a launch out of this thing with a high stall converter... its pretty much a dog off the line. I was a little worried about the extra heat generated though.

I guess on the subject of gears. How do 5.29's hold up? I generally hear negative feedback from people with 5.29's and breaking ring and pinions.

I considered gearing the Tcase but I have not found any information on regearing the tcases that are behind automatics...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
TwistedTJ said:
its a 4 cyl with and automatic with 4.30 gears with 35" tires locked front and rear.

I am not so sure I would get much of a launch out of this thing with a high stall converter... its pretty much a dog off the line. I was a little worried about the extra heat generated though.

I guess on the subject of gears. How do 5.29's hold up? I generally hear negative feedback from people with 5.29's and breaking ring and pinions.

I considered gearing the Tcase but I have not found any information on regearing the tcases that are behind automatics...

Go with 5.29's. 5.71's are an option, but I wouldn't recommend them. Make sure you get quality gears, and have them set up correctly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Gearing your Tcase isn't an option. Depending on which auto you have, it may be possible to buy an adapter for the manual-tranny-style Tcase, then you have all the gearing/doubling options that are available. Otherwise, you're stuck with what you've got.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
Go with 5.29's. 5.71's are an option, but I wouldn't recommend them. Make sure you get quality gears, and have them set up correctly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Gearing your Tcase isn't an option. Depending on which auto you have, it may be possible to buy an adapter for the manual-tranny-style Tcase, then you have all the gearing/doubling options that are available. Otherwise, you're stuck with what you've got.

What about a Klune underdrive or simmilar? Any Toy experts out there who knows what might be availablie for his application?

notajeep

Just me
Check with Marlin Crawler. They have everything you need and really know their toyota stuff. Call 559-252-7295 or Marlincrawler.com :)

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
TwistedTJ said:

I would go with the 5.71 gears with the auto. That thing will be killer with the 4 cyl.