His & Hers

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The wife has been bugging me to get a snowblower that she can use when I'm not around. But damned if I'm getting rid of "Jaws", as I refer to it.

So, I went out and found the Prius of snowblowers for her. :D

As hard as it is to believe, the stupid little thing kinda kicks ass...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386809788.232232.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Single stage machines can really throw well if the snow is light and not too deep. I wish I had one for the last storm we had rather than muscle my beast around. They are cool when the conditions are right. But when you need the 2 stage monster, you need it.

skeptic

For the last 2 or 3 years I've been saying "the next big snow and I'm buying a snow blower". The problem is I'm too cheap to buy a good one. My driveway should hold 5 cars max, plus sidewalk along the street and a small walk way. Even if deep heavy snow meant extra work, I think a small single stage would be plenty for my needs.

Then again, based on what some of you are saying maybe I should re-consider an electric one? I'd much rather spend up to $200 for an electric that can get the job done easier than a shovel instead of $450+ for a gas model that doesn't make my work THAT much easier for the small area I need to clear.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I hated my electric one, and I hate my electric lawnmower. Maneuvering around that cord is a giant PITA.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have an 85ft long driveway, 2 cars wide and last season shoveling killed my back. Single stage stinks in the wet snow, but I'm glad to have it.
I tried and electric one and it was not up to the task. Plus the cord gets REALLY STIFF in the cold and is hard to work around.

skeptic

I hated my electric one, and I hate my electric lawnmower. Maneuvering around that cord is a giant PITA.
I have never owned or used a corded electric yard tool. I did have a cordless string trimmer that was great until the batteries completely died and wouldn't hold a charge (hoping for a new one for Xmas that uses the same 19.2v batteries as my other cordless tools). Mowing or trimming a yard I can see being a huge hassle, but a driveway + sidewalk doesn't sound too bad for dealing with a cord.

I have an 85ft long driveway, 2 cars wide and last season shoveling killed my back. Single stage stinks in the wet snow, but I'm glad to have it.
I tried and electric one and it was not up to the task. Plus the cord gets REALLY STIFF in the cold and is hard to work around.
My driveway is much smaller. For me the question isn't gas vs. electric, gas is the clear winner. The question is, is a "good" electric blower somewhere in the $200 range adequate for my small area. I see they have everything from sub $100 7.5 amp snow shovels (seem almost pointless) to $300 15 amp snow blowers. I'm seriously considering a $200 13/13.5 amp blower next time we get more than an inch or two of snow. Maybe I'll watch for sales (which I'm sure I just missed on Black Friday).

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Gotta love snow blowers! Picked mind up a few years back in the middle of summer for $300 under winter prices. Best purchase I made that year! I have a pretty large driveway so it's essential to me.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread

I have two driveways 3 cars wide, about 4000 square feet total. This is why I have the big one.

The small one is just to keep her busy, or maybe I'll use it on the light dustings too.

If your cord is getting stiff, time to invest in a good cord. A good all weather cord will run you $60 or more, and worth every penny.

Cherokeester

Two stage gas blower is the only thing to own in Cache Valley, the only thing I plug in is my diesel truck. Heavy snow kills small single stage blowers or you will by throwing it in the trash.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Two of them (a Honda and a Toro) need carb work. Both leak gas because the float and needle valve aren't shutting things off.
Hi Dave, I am still using that single stage toro I bought off of you 5-6+ years ago. Works great, easy to maneuver, I can pick it up to get the stairs and porch.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

I currently have 5 snow blowers and need to fix some up and sell them.
Let me know when you sell some running ones Dave. I cant seem to get mine going. Mine may only need a carb clean since it has new gas mixture, new, spark plug, and is getting spark but I have been putting in 60 hour work weeks and feel kind of lazy when I get home.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Let me know when you sell some running ones Dave. I cant seem to get mine going. Mine may only need a carb clean since it has new gas mixture, new, spark plug, and is getting spark but I have been putting in 60 hour work weeks and feel kind of lazy when I get home.

Most snow blower problems are gummed up carbs since they sit for so long not being used. They are usually a pretty easy fix.