History is just cool.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Here's a Civil War veteran standing next to a fighter jet, in 1955.

wOmdlVg.jpg

To put that dichotomy in perspective, here's a five megabyte hard drive being loaded on a plane, in 1956. The phone you're looking at this post from probably has at least eight gigabytes, no?

wr287nc.jpg

That's crazy.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Technology is pretty cool. The amount of information a person has access to now is amazing.
My grandfather's first car had a Chevy small bock . The car he had when he died had a Chevy small block. Can you imagine only needing to know how to work on one engine you entire life?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yep history is cool . I never was much into history until I bought my first jeep. Now I love reading/visiting old ghost towns ect.
Any of you watch the show "American Ride" ? That guy would of made a cool history teacher.
My grandpa has the whole time-life collection on WW2. I think to try and find as much info as he could to find out about his brother that went down in a bomber over Austria .

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I remember our first computer it was a 8086. My parents got it in the late 80's early 90's maybe. They paid serious coin for it like upwards of 5k if I remember correctly. They had it built with a 10mb hard drive. The guy at the shop tried to tell them they would never have a need for a HD that large.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I still have a dx486 laptop somewhere... along with a 233mhz p3 laptop. and my grandsons still love coming over to play with the atari 2600 or sega genesis.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I remember our first computer it was a 8086. My parents got it in the late 80's early 90's maybe. They paid serious coin for it like upwards of 5k if I remember correctly. They had it built with a 10mb hard drive. The guy at the shop tried to tell them they would never have a need for a HD that large.

Yeah, our first computer (bought in 1986 IIRC) was an Apple IIc. It had 128K RAM, which gave me bragging rights compared to friends with their Commodore 64s. :rofl: No hard drive, no modem (though I kept dreaming of buying a 300 baud modem for it--how cool would that have been?).

my grandsons still love coming over to play with the atari 2600

You have a 2600??? I'm coming over tomorrow night!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I still remember when we upgraded to windows 3.1 and DOS 6.2 on our 486. Those were the days. I wanted to be a programmer and even wrote a small DOS program to do some of my math homework for me.

Now I know just enough about computers to get myself into trouble.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have a 486sx in my basement and its crappy monitor, I also have a really old mac but the model isn't popping into my head at the moment. But after reading some minimalist threads I think I may need to go recycle 97% of my basement