Hitch carrier for a big adventure bike. Crazy?

J-mobzz

So where my mindset has been I really want to get a motorcycle that I can carry behind the van. I’ve been thinking anywhere from like 150 cc Chinese made scooter that I would throw some knobbies on to a smaller dual sport dirtbike. Something that I could go putt around some dirt roads on and cruise into the closest town to grab a few things with a backpack without having to break down camp.

But my mind keeps going back to the fact that I own a motorcycle that I really enjoy riding. A v-storm 1050xt. But she’s a big girl at 530 pounds.

So if I put airbags on the back of the van put a class five receiver hitch on and then built a pretty beefy hitch carrier that could handle the weight and probably tied into my rear bumper as well for load distribution and prevent sway. I don’t know part of me feels like I’m just asking for trouble trying to carry around that big of a bike on the back of an already loaded van, even with airbags. And part of me thinks it’s a really good idea to just use the bike I already have.

Am I crazy for thinking about trying this?
IMG_0367.jpeg

J-mobzz

Get your box truck going and haul it in the back of the truck?
Even with the box truck, it’s going to have to be a similar set up. There’s just no way to fit the motorcycle inside with the layout. I need to be sustainable for work and long-term travel.

But that’s also why I’m leaning towards trying to find a set up that will work with a big bike. it would be pretty easy just to buy $1000 scooter or $2200 dirtbike. But long term I would like to have my big bike with me.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Either way, I think I will build a carrier similar to something like this that’s height adjustable. Obviously with the V Strom it would have to be pretty hefty.
View attachment 177170
I have that style carrier for my dirt bike and I really like it. For a 530lb bike you'll definitely need to figure out how to control sway, and you'll need a beefy jack to lift it, but I really like my carrier.

IMG_2385_Original.jpeg

J-mobzz

I think I would add two turnbuckles to the hitch setup, just like they use in the higher quality receiver hitch extensions. Added support and triangulation could really help.

View attachment 177191
So instead of using an extension, I would just build the carrier to work with my set set up permanently. And then I planned on using some high-quality turnbuckles up to the shackles on the rear bumper. My thought is it would triangulate it as well as distribute some of the load.

J-mobzz

You mentioned scooter...
I could be talked into letting this bad dawg go.😀
2016 PCX 300ish miles.
View attachment 177192
I don’t think I’m ready to drop the kind of money on a namebrand scooter lol I’m sure that thing still worth 2500 bucks or more. If I went the scooter route, it would be something like this.

IMG_1023.jpeg

But I think I’ve gotten enough encouragement here that I’m going to move forward with ordering the airbag stuff this week and a class 5 hitch.

J-mobzz

Thanks to you good influence I’m going for it. I didn’t like the airbag kits I could find for the van so I ordered a few different mounting plates and a set of 2500 pound bags and I’ll just build my own mounts. Also ordered a class 5 receiver. I don’t trust the one I built into the rear bumper to handle that much weight.

IMG_1027.jpeg