Hole in the Rock

05rubicon

Hole in the Rock Trail I'll assume?

Check this out before you go:
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/hole-in-the-rock-4x4-trail/

Yes I mean Hole in the Rock Trail I must just assume when talking about HITR that everyone knows what I mean. Sorry I will be more specific next time. Hey what is the latest on the Rincon? Are they still considering it or has it passed for this year? the link you sent me to indicated that there was still some chance.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes I mean Hole in the Rock Trail I must just assume when talking about HITR that everyone knows what I mean. Sorry I will be more specific next time. Hey what is the latest on the Rincon? Are they still considering it or has it passed for this year? the link you sent me to indicated that there was still some chance.

It is a bit confusing but both sides are neat and tecnhically are 4WD trails. For example the Hole in the Rock Road on the west side of the lake is featured in several 4x4 Trail guides such as the Massey & Wilson versions... so often folks think they are talking about one when in deed they want to do the more difficult trail, aka the Hole in the Rock Trail. Clear as mud :D

The Rincon is still closed per the NPS, but open according to the County. However the county is NOT going to pay your ticked nor back you up in court if you are cited for being on the trail illegally. They want to regain legal rights to the trail via the courts which will take several years or more. Currently the counties and the NPS are working to try and validate some of the routes in the area, ideally this would be a trail they add back to their inventory but its hard to say what will happen.

I spoke with the County Commissioner working on this issue, I gave him some leads on some historical validation showing public access of the route over 50 years ago, pre-lake. He was going to follow up on it with the NPS.

Jesser04

The Rincon is still closed per the NPS, but open according to the County. However the county is NOT going to pay your ticked nor back you up in court if you are cited for being on the trail illegally. They want to regain legal rights to the trail via the courts which will take several years or more.
This sounds like a grey area. Kurt would you run the Rincon? If some one was willing to take the chance on a ticket are they having any negative effects on the county gaining control back of the trail?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This sounds like a grey area. Kurt would you run the Rincon? If some one was willing to take the chance on a ticket are they having any negative effects on the county gaining control back of the trail?

Knowing what I know now, I would not and the county commissioner felt that while they maintain they should have legal access to the route they do not think that rogue use will further the cause. I have spoken to the NPS officials involved, they are very receptive to the issue, the main jist is it was closed in a travel plan revision 20 years ago... long before many of them were involved. They know its getting used but have and will issue citations just as they will in any other 'closed areas'. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the county and NPS can do some magic.

05rubicon

Knowing what I know now, I would not and the county commissioner felt that while they maintain they should have legal access to the route they do not think that rogue use will further the cause. I have spoken to the NPS officials involved, they are very receptive to the issue, the main jist is it was closed in a travel plan revision 20 years ago... long before many of them were involved. They know its getting used but have and will issue citations just as they will in any other 'closed areas'. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the county and NPS can do some magic.

We ran into a Ranger and passenger when we were there I ask if the rincon was open the ranger very quickly said no. But his companion responce was interesting " that road is closed forrrr everrrrr" he then went on to explain the history of it being closed etc. He said he was with the park service not sure what his roll is though.

05rubicon

That it was closed I believe he said in 1972 but they had to leave access to it because of grazing rights of a local rancher. He said that those right have expired and that now there is no one with access rights. He indicated there was big fight between NP and County on the trail but in his opinion NP rules. First time in five years of running the trail I have run into a ranger it was interesting.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That it was closed I believe he said in 1972 but they had to leave access to it because of grazing rights of a local rancher. He said that those right have expired and that now there is no one with access rights. He indicated there was big fight between NP and County on the trail but in his opinion NP rules. First time in five years of running the trail I have run into a ranger it was interesting.

Thanks for the insight. That about sums it up, County versus feds. We shall see.

Lifelong Jeeper

so the area that is bypassed due to the washout...are we now missing anything great, ie from either a difficulty level, or historical standpoint? I have been hounding my family for years to go do that trail and I always get vetoed in favor of the always fun yet familiar Moab.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
so the area that is bypassed due to the washout...are we now missing anything great, ie from either a difficulty level, or historical standpoint? I have been hounding my family for years to go do that trail and I always get vetoed in favor of the always fun yet familiar Moab.

Well the Lake itself that once stood there is somewhat historical I suppose. If you are truly interested in seeing it all or at least seeing most of it, you can still drive to either side of the washout, just allow a couple extra hours to do so.