Home building questions

MattL

Wife and I are looking at potentially building a house. I have some questions for those that have been down this road before.

TIA!

What is the average price per sq that people are seeing for building in Salt Lake Valley? We are looking for a rambler/ranch style. We are not looking for a mansion, something probably sub 2,000 feet, min 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 level house.

Who are recommended builders?

What were your pros/cons during your process?

Building styles, pex vs copper, electrical suggestions, windows/insulation suggestions.

Picking plans on the internet vs builder plans.

Hiring Contractor.

Loan processes.

Best suggestions on saving building costs?

What are some gotchas when considering building new place? Example things that nickel and dime ya.

Would you do it again?

Anything else to consider?

MattL

Thanks for the reply.
I think the problem ill have if we do this is being to anal and being too picky.
How did you go about making the customer happy and vice versa when some one such as I pointed out things out. I worry about this.

All the things you listed I could do my self, granted it would not be easily done on some of them. Like everyone out there, Ill be very money oriented.

Caleb

I could do the math and figure out my per soft cost on my last two homes we built but they were both 7-12 years ago...so not really applicable to today's prices.

The problem you'll run in to is a lot of builders won't build the plan you got of the internet...or even the plan you have an architect draw up for you. Most builders will only build the home plans they offer, even if they call themselves a "custom" home builder. The second problem is finding a lot to put that custom home on. Quite often, again, the builders will only sell their lots to people building their homes. This is often driven by city approvals for their permits, sometimes not. Getting around those hurdles, here's some other things I did in my current home:

Extra power outlets (It's expensive and timely to run these in the future...even doing them your self)
Data every where (I rant his myself once they had framed the house. I pulled two cat 6 data cables and a coax cable to every box. I put a box on every wall in every room in my house. I have around 4000' ft of cat 6 cable in my house :eek: The electrician that was doing the electrical work on my house said it would have cost me closet to $10K to have that much ran if he was doing it...it cost me a couple hundred bucks and a Saturday afternoon of my time)
Conduit from attic to basement (My house is a multistory house, so this makes it easy if I ever need to get anything from the basement to the attic in the future. Such as wiring runs, gas lines, optic runs, etc)
Upgraded all vinyl flooring to tile (something you say can easily do your self in the future, but you rarely end up doing it :) )
Ran 220 (To the garage for obvious reasons, also to the backyard for a hot tub. It cost us very little to do it at the time of building vs. doing it post construction)
Upgrade your carpet and padding as much as you can (Again, one of those things you can easily do in the future, but usually end up living with so-so carpet and sucky padding)

Nickel and dime things:
Window coverings (blinds and drapes)
Yard
Basement
It's been a while and I can't remember what else...we planned $10k for extra stuff for AFTER we were moved in and blew through it like it was nothing.

This was our second house we'd built, we wanted to do this one exactly how we wanted and ended up spending more than $80K on upgrades. Don't get too caught up the base price of the home, some builders include TONs of upgrades and have a high base price, while others include nothing and have a low base price. It was about location for us, so that limited our search greatly on which builder to use. For this second home we ended up using Perry Homes and were happy with them. They also have kept the integrity of our neighborhood exactly how they said they would. Our first builder was supposed to be the only builder in that neighborhood. When they couldn't sell the lots, they ended up bringing in another sub-rate builder who promptly put a surf blue home (at the time) out our front window. It was actually a couple streets away so was later blocked by other homes that went in...still annoying though.

Cascadia

Undecided
I may be the exception. I will build any plan on any lot. I'm not a big builder so I take what I get and I'm not picky about jobs I get. This allows me to spend more time per job and with the clients. Our last 5 homes (over the last 16 months) have been anywhere from $69 to $76 per sq ft. This is the hard cost without the land and without my fee. We include a lot of extras in that price. 9' ceilings, travertine or tile, hardwood floors, granite countertops, custom cabinets, upgraded carpet (to a certain extent), jetted tub, tile surrounds and walk in shower, large master closets, upgraded plumbing fixtures, all per lines, gas fireplace, 90-95% efficient furnace, custom alder front door, and a lot more. I'm located in Orem but will build within an hour or so.

Caleb

I may be the exception. I will build any plan on any lot. I'm not a big builder so I take what I get and I'm not picky about jobs I get. This allows me to spend more time per job and with the clients. Our last 5 homes (over the last 16 months) have been anywhere from $69 to $76 per sq ft. This is the hard cost without the land and without my fee. We include a lot of extras in that price. 9' ceilings, travertine or tile, hardwood floors, granite countertops, custom cabinets, upgraded carpet (to a certain extent), jetted tub, tile surrounds and walk in shower, large master closets, upgraded plumbing fixtures, all per lines, gas fireplace, 90-95% efficient furnace, custom alder front door, and a lot more. I'm located in Orem but will build within an hour or so.

Do you do complete builds? For some reason I though you only did framing and finish work. Good to know for in a few years. :)

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
We have found that lots in the South Jordan and surrounding area are non existent. Builders own the lots and will only build there models and will not allow anyone else to build on them. This way they get all the profit from land and building. Some will allow changes within there models but not drastic changes.
Three bits of advice, get the best roof possible because of the high winds and get a recirculating hot water system that is insulated and get the best insulation possible for the whole house including between rooms.

Cascadia

Undecided
Yes I do. I do framing and finish work full time. But I usually do 3-5 complete homes a year. When I have build jobs the framing has to take a back seat. I still do it but if something needs to be done on a build job I pull off the framing.

MattL

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The problem you'll run in to is a lot of builders won't build the plan you got of the internet...or even the plan you have an architect draw up for you.

Extra power outlets (It's expensive and timely to run these in the future...even doing them your self)
Data every where.
Conduit from attic to basement
Upgraded all vinyl flooring to tile (something you say can easily do your self in the future, but you rarely end up doing it :) )
Ran 220 (To the garage for obvious reasons, also to the backyard for a hot tub.
Upgrade your carpet and padding as much as you can (Again, one of those things you can easily do in the future, but usually end up living with so-so carpet and sucky padding)

Nickel and dime things:
Window coverings (blinds and drapes)
Yard
Basement
It's been a while and I can't remember what else...we planned $10k for extra stuff for AFTER we were moved in and blew through it like it was nothing.

This was our second house we'd built, we wanted to do this one exactly how we wanted and ended up spending more than $80K on upgrades. Don't get too caught up the base price of the home, some builders include TONs of upgrades and have a high base price, while others include nothing and have a low base price.

Caleb, great points. I plan on doing hard wires to all rooms with extra power outlets as well as the 220. Hot tubs are nice and cant see life without ours. Ive also heard that based on the type of lights you select bulbs can be spendy.
My problems with rarely ever doing it in projects is actually finishing them, I get about 80-90% done and then they just sit.
I fully understand the build while its bare and do it right the first time. I'm hoping do to just that. Yards, basements are considered projects. I cant live with out a descent yard, but i will be more than happy to do this one my self. For me its therapy being outside in "MY Yard". This is one of the reason we want to move is to have a larger yard.
The 10K number is acceptable but the 80k is numbing number for me considering our budgeting options. How does one find out what is and what is not included in the base price with out getting so caught up in the base?

This is what I was looking for on what can be expected as a base. The independent builder is what I is am also looking for and not a cookie cutter builder, even though ours will be very basic and cookie-cutterish. I am curious about what "your fee" is. If you want to pm me some details id be most curious and potentially interested. Also interested in how you help your customers in picking the builders quality vs upgrades and what is deemed "needed". How would you go about finding a builder going off our experiences as being one? Does your 69-76 per sq ft include driveways?

Some will allow changes within there models but not drastic changes.
Three bits of advice, get the best roof possible because of the high winds and get a recirculating hot water system that is insulated and get the best insulation possible for the whole house including between rooms.

When talking of roof, you talking of shingles or actually trusses? Ive contemplated going metal roof, suggestions. I haven't heard of a recirculating hot water system. Ill be looking that up now. There were several things I wanted to invest in. The insulation and potentially windows. Everything else can be a redo, as time and life permits, if needed. Has anyone had experience in closed cell insulating foam? What about the differences in windows. I want base quality windows. No needed bling but quality insulating ones.

We are looking for a basic (no fancy arches, pop outs,overviews etc)sub 1800-2000k square foot home, i'm hoping for a very energy efficient, excessive storage(closet, shelf, food storage) areas and a thoughtfully well laid out home plan with a nice working kitchen area. Not looking for a place the Queen of England would call home but a nice quaint warm place. Example, our current home has a front room that is the largest room in the house and never really gets used, ever. We dont want unused space.

Besides Cascadia is there any other independent home builders in the SLC/tooele county area worth talking to and getting info and maybe quotes.
Many thanks again

Houndoc

I just completed a new home in May. Had a great experience, mostly because of the contractor we hired. He is a small-scale builder (couple of homes a year) so we had his full attention and he was personally on the job site nearly every day.

He also build standard what would have been upgrades for most (2x6 framing etc) and still was cost competitive. His name is Bart Hamatake. Although we built in Tooele County, he now lives in Midvale so would probably be happy to do a local build. PM me for his number.

I also know personally a couple of other Tooele County builders that I have always heard very good things about and know well enough as individuals to trust them completely: Wade Sandberg (forgetting the name of his company right now) and Ken Hale of Hale Construction. Again can let me know if you want their numbers and can PM them to you.

I also personally know

MattL

Thanks Houndoc. I have wondered the cost of the "upgrade" of 2x6 construction. I know it would help with the insulation on standard fiberglass but wonder if its needed if doing the 2x4 if doing the foam insulation.
I would be interested in the contact info for these builders. Many thanks

SnwMnkys

Thanks Houndoc. I have wondered the cost of the "upgrade" of 2x6 construction. I know it would help with the insulation on standard fiberglass but wonder if its needed if doing the 2x4 if doing the foam insulation.
I would be interested in the contact info for these builders. Many thanks

The closed cell spray foam is expensive. You also dont apply more than a couple inches of it. One reason being that there is an exothermic reaction taking place when it is applied and too much at one time can generate a lot of heat and potentially start a fire. Its not uncommon to have 2" of foam sprayed and then use standard insulation for the remaining wall width on anything 2x6 and bigger. Closed cell spray foam has one of the highest R values per inch. Other benefits are it helps stop air leakage, which is an important factor in insulation. It also ads structural strength to your home. Depending on the applied thickness. Some people say its the equivalent of adding another layer of 1/2 sheathing.

MattL

The closed cell spray foam is expensive. You also dont apply more than a couple inches of it. One reason being that there is an exothermic reaction taking place when it is applied and too much at one time can generate a lot of heat and potentially start a fire. Its not uncommon to have 2" of foam sprayed and then use standard insulation for the remaining wall width on anything 2x6 and bigger. Closed cell spray foam has one of the highest R values per inch. Other benefits are it helps stop air leakage, which is an important factor in insulation. It also ads structural strength to your home. Depending on the applied thickness. Some people say its the equivalent of adding another layer of 1/2 sheathing.

Thanks for this. I had no idea it was only able for 2 inches. I have heard that it is great for integrity and helping for keeping some bugs out.

SnwMnkys

Thanks for this. I had no idea it was only able for 2 inches. I have heard that it is great for integrity and helping for keeping some bugs out.

You can spray it thicker. But its done in "lifts" of 2" or so at a time. I hope it catches on more here. But that wont happen until energy efficiency is taken into account of a homes value.

Cascadia

Undecided
Where do you get your building plans from? Do you have an architect or do you have a site you get them off of?
I have an architect. The last 2 homes I've built have been specs. I drew them up on graph paper, gave them to my architect and he drow up some plans. The engineer them also. I've never paid more than $1800 for a set of plans and that was for a home that was 2900 ft above ground, finished basement, 3 car garage. a lot of times I will look at plans online and find something I like, make some changes, and give it to my architect to draw up. Costs less than online and they are a lot cleaner and more understandable and drawn and engineered for your area.

MattL

I have an architect. The last 2 homes I've built have been specs. I drew them up on graph paper, gave them to my architect and he drow up some plans. The engineer them also. I've never paid more than $1800 for a set of plans and that was for a home that was 2900 ft above ground, finished basement, 3 car garage. a lot of times I will look at plans online and find something I like, make some changes, and give it to my architect to draw up. Costs less than online and they are a lot cleaner and more understandable and drawn and engineered for your area.

Thanks for the info.