Home window replacement referral?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been putting this off for way too long. My windows are so worn that they are fogged between panes and it's driving me nuts. :)

Anybody recommend a company that had a good experience with or do window replacements? Not looking for a deal, just rather spent money with a fellow RME'r

RockChucker

Are your window frames vinyl? My pops can replace glass only (i think in aluminum frames too) and it is quick and easy most of the time. And waaaaay cheaper than buying and installing new windows. If you're interested in talking to him, shoot me a PM and I can get you his number. To me, it sounds like you have a failed unit (dual pane glass assembly in the window) and only need to replace that. I've helped him replace more window panes than I can count. Not too difficult. Does kinda suck with YUGE windows or windows that are super high, but all doable.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Are your window frames vinyl? My pops can replace glass only (i think in aluminum frames too) and it is quick and easy most of the time. And waaaaay cheaper than buying and installing new windows. If you're interested in talking to him, shoot me a PM and I can get you his number. To me, it sounds like you have a failed unit (dual pane glass assembly in the window) and only need to replace that. I've helped him replace more window panes than I can count. Not too difficult. Does kinda suck with YUGE windows or windows that are super high, but all doable.
x2. We had a single pane replaced (it broke at random :ugh:) and it was cheap.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Awesome, thanks everybody!
I'd love to do this but they are super old and I'd like to just replace them. They are aluminum and over 40 years old now... but you have me thinking how well I could refurbish these things. Nearly all of them have the failed dual glass issue. :(

RockChucker

Awesome, thanks everybody!

I'd love to do this but they are super old and I'd like to just replace them. They are aluminum and over 40 years old now... but you have me thinking how well I could refurbish these things. Nearly all of them have the failed dual glass issue. :(
If your frames are all functional and work good, replacing just the glass is going to be 1/3 or less the cost of replacing the whole window. It depends on the size of the window, but I want to say that the average cost of glass replacement is less than $100 each. But if you don't like the windows you have or they don't operate worth a crap, I can totally see getting new. Full window replacement results in a bunch of finish work inside the house too.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If your frames are all functional and work good, replacing just the glass is going to be 1/3 or less the cost of replacing the whole window. It depends on the size of the window, but I want to say that the average cost of glass replacement is less than $100 each. But if you don't like the windows you have or they don't operate worth a crap, I can totally see getting new. Full window replacement results in a bunch of finish work inside the house too.
Dude, I'm going to have to ponder this now... Thanks for the info!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've ordered stuff through James @rockreligious and had a local installer do it. Because it was just a few windows though so he didn't want to travel up.
Great pricing for sure.
His shop is called A to Z glass.
435-528-7331

He even cut me some obscure glass to fit my 112 yr old wood window casements and had down to the millimeters perfection in an odd thickness glass to match what was in there.

comingdown

On 99% of all windows we do there is no finish work inside or out. But also glass can just be replaced easily. It comes down to cost/benefit.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Pm me, I can hook you up either way, replace glass or new vinyl or wood or whatever your budget allows.
We have picture windows that we wish were windows that open up. I can't imagine thats something that could be a retrofit right? They'd have to be removed and replaced?

RockChucker

I just hope the window situation improves, I'm replacing my windows/patio door and have been waiting for a couple months now.
My dad works for Amsco windows and they have an insane backlog. They are selling more windows a day than they can build. The backlog just keeps growing and growing. I think they have the plant running full capacity close to 22 hrs a day on the weekdays. Not much idle time between the day shift and night shift anymore with all the overtime. I can't help but think many if not all window manufacturers are the same way.

comingdown

My dad works for Amsco windows and they have an insane backlog. They are selling more windows a day than they can build. The backlog just keeps growing and growing. I think they have the plant running full capacity close to 22 hrs a day on the weekdays. Not much idle time between the day shift and night shift anymore with all the overtime. I can't help but think many if not all window manufacturers are the same way.
Same at our company. We can only get enough glass for 300 windows average per day and getting orders for 500-600. So, if you do the math it’s a giant problem.