HOOD VENTS?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
So I have been running Torque Pro on my tablet in my LJ and the intake temps are always up in the 150-160 range even with my new cold air intake. I am looking to put a hood vent on and after looking at a couple the poison spyder one looks to be the best....

Anyone else have one on their jeep? need some feedback as to what else is out there...

DAA

Supporting Member
Did you move the sensor when you installed a CAI?

The IAT sensor is in the manifold and gets heat soaked no matter what the intake air is doing. I have a crappy CAI and did move the sensor years ago, also have Torque, but have never bothered to check the air temp. Maybe I'll have a look at it, see what mine is, with my IAT sensor moved to the intake air tube. Which, BTW, if you haven't already, moving it to the intake tube is dead simple.

- DAA

gijohn40

yes my IAT is moved to the air tube. Today coming to work the outside temp was 80 degrees while my intake was 98 degrees with my coolant at 217 according to Torque and my temp gauge in my rearview mirror.

DAA

Supporting Member
That being the case, I'm not sure hood vents can/will do anything to change intake air temp. They let heat out of the engine compartment, and can help with engine/coolant temps, but I don't think they are going to do anything for intake air while driving. I do have a hood vent, too, now that I think about it - a small one, came with the hood, tend to forget it's there. No idea if it actually does anything or not on my rig, it looks kind of ornamental. Never had a problem with over heating though (knock on my wooden head...).

- DAA

gijohn40

I can see how his testing showed the area that I figured would be the hottest. I wonder why he didn't take and put louvers on the side panel just before the doors. that way the fan would blow air down the sides of the engine then out the sides.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've got a really cool Plymouth Laser Turbo hood vent I could sell you. I've been stashing it for my Jeep, but it doesn't look like I'll put it on since I go through hoods so often lol.
I'll snap a pic.

pkrfctr

I run the ps one and have noticed a difference with it. I think it looks great too. Super simple install, although I did replace the crappy allen head bolt they sent with hex heads (after I broke a dozen or so of the allens during install)