Horses

MattL

Who has horses?
Why?
Why would you get them again?
Why wouldn't ya?
What are the unexpected costs?
What is some of the great memories as a result of owning.
What family of horse?
Anyone done the Parelli training or any other types?

I'm moving to a new "home" that has property and riding access is out my back door, literally. The thought of having horses and using them to gain access to the outdoors is a new thought to me. I am an animal person at heart and will be having a variety of food producing critters at the new place. One that has eluded me is equine ownership, no i wont be eating this critter. I have never thought I could or even want but after being introduced to the neighbors 12 horses, Id be willing to entertain the thought. I don't want to do this on a whim so I need to plan for the possibility and learn as much as I can. Suggestions? My purpose for ownership would be riding in the outdoors and longer distance riding.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have friends with horses and next year will find myself in your position when we move to Morgan, best bet is to just go sit down with your neighbor with horses to get direct feedback on the costs and responsibility associated with owning one. I want one for hunting, but a pack mule is also an option because they are less gun shy and do not spook easily around wild animals, you can find stories of pack mules even confronting cougars and bears.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
A good friend of mine does the parelli training. Seems very effective.
I have gone the rounds of wanting horses also. Boils down to time and energy for me. Horses, like any hobby require a lot of time and energy to be involved (parelli is extremely time consuming)
Do you want to spend your 'free' time training a horse, riding a motorcycle, wheeling a jeep, etc. You can really only do 1 or 2 effectively. I imagine with additional animals you may only get time for 1 activity.
Secondly, When you run out of time and money for a jeep,bike,etc, you leave it in the garage until you can come back to it. Not so with a horse. Daily feedings, grooming, training, and expenses can never be postponed.

Being a horseman is a way of life, not just something you own. My brother is a horseman; For now, I am not. It may take more money than other hobbies, like rock-crawling. It definitely can take more time. As Brian stated, you care for the horse whether you are using it or not. Just from watching family members and friends, the health of horses is much more temperamental than other animals, such as dogs. They require a lot more attention.

My .02

Jesser04

What unimog said. I have grown up around horses my whole life my father still has four right now. It is a very expensive hobby the amount of money he spends he could have a buggy, Harley and a damn nice boat. Vet bills and keeping shoes on them as well as food adds up fast. At a minimum my dad spends 1,000-1,500 a year at the vet on healthy horses not count when one goes in unscheduled. Save your money and go pay 50 bucks a couple times a year in park city for a day of riding.

AaronPaige

Agreed my wife races barrels and her horse is by far the most time consuming and costly of all our hobbies, but it's her passion, having to buy hay,vet bills and feeding twice a day for us is inconvenient but if it's what you want enjoy

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I stay away from horses, went though a clothes line when I was a kid on the neighbors horse. :handlebars:

You may want to look at the price of hay though, price is around $200 a ton right now if I'm reading things right. http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ag_gr310.txt from what I've read about a half bale of hay per horse per day, roughly 30 bales to the ton. *consumption varies by breed, pasture availability, grain/oats, etc. Part of that assumes you can pick up hay at that price. My dad just switched from the small bales to the 3x3 bales that weigh about 900lbs each, he used to sell most of his hay to horse owners so it will be interesting to see how that changes, not everyone can handle the large bales. I'd make sure you have a supplier, a place to store the hay out of the weather, and an idea of cost before the horse was ever around.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Horses and boats fall into the same category with me.......the best ones to have are the ones your neighbors and friends own. We help some friends quite a bit with their cattle and guest ranch operation. I have thought about getting a horse for my son & I but know the time and money to care for them is not worth it.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Horses and boats fall into the same category with me.......the best ones to have are the ones your neighbors and friends own.

I've got some wave runners. I love them. I used them once last year. None this year. Registered and insured them for 4 years. ridden them probably 6 times. replaced a CDI, starter, batteries, and impeller.
Cost to ride ratio is about $500/hr.:eek: I should just rent some

maveric

Crawler Collecter
I have 4 of them. 2 of them were my wife's before we got together, but we purchased 2 since then. I had horses for a while growing up, and living in a community still big into ranching, it seemed the thing to do. My horses are awesome lawn ornaments... they stand in the yard and look pretty :rolleyes:. I have been feeding them every day for the last 10+ years, which is a cost you don't get back. This year we are picking up 20 tons (10 ton 4x4 squares, 10 ton 3x3 squares) this weekend for $200/ton. The last 2 years, I have not ridden much. But the horses to my wife are like my dog is to me, can't just get rid of them. And they live for a long time too. I have 1 now that is (I think) 34 years old. I have been expecting her to drop for the past 3 winters, but not so lucky.

Are they worth it???? If I rode all the time, yes. They are fun to ride.
Are they expensive???? Hell ya!!!! And you don't usually get out of them what you put in them.
Would I own them again??? Probably. (I'm not a fast learner)

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I've got some wave runners. I love them. I used them once last year. None this year. Registered and insured them for 4 years. ridden them probably 6 times. replaced a CDI, starter, batteries, and impeller.
Cost to ride ratio is about $500/hr.:eek: I should just rent some

2 words, toy share, it gives you part ownership with only partial cost.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I keep my friends horses in my pasture during the spring/summer. I love how they keep the weeds mowed down but to me that's all they're good for lol :D I've never owned a horse but having growing up around them and now with them on my property (I take care of them kinda sorta) I wouldn't own one unless I could devote a significant amount of time riding and caring for it/them. As others have said when life gets in the way or money gets short I can put my other hobbies on the back burner--with horses not so much.

flexyfool

GDW
Being a horseman is a way of life, not just something you own. My brother is a horseman; For now, I am not. It may take more money than other hobbies, like rock-crawling. It definitely can take more time. As Brian stated, you care for the horse whether you are using it or not. Just from watching family members and friends, the health of horses is much more temperamental than other animals, such as dogs. They require a lot more attention.

My .02

X2

To do it right, requires a lifestyle commitment or else very deep pockets. If your family doesn't have a history with horses, I suggest dipping your toe in 1st with guided rides and lessons. If the family is still into it, then purchase 1 horse and keep him in a professionally maintained stable for a while to learn what it takes.

MattL

Thanks for the follow ups. I am honest in I don't know what I am getting into hence the questions. Thank you for the words of caution.