Housing upgrades - roof and windows

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
does anyone have any experience with either? i'll leaning towards putting my own roof on before this winter, (only have one layer right now). It cant be that hard, right? just lining everything up, and nailing it down. Does anyone have any tops or pointers? roof is very simple design.

windows on the other hand, gonna have someone else do those. Any brands to look for, or steer away from? Any local companies that you've worked with that have been good with installs? We're only looking to replace 8 windows, but i dont even know what fair pricing is, as this is our first house.

thanks in advance!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've done my own roof before. Not difficult but you'll definitely know you were working.
what he said. I used to know the window info really well, but I've been out of the business for 15 years. There are some sheister companies out there, so check the Google reviews on each company and manufacturer.

They will all try to upsell you on low-e and argon filled units. Tempered glass too. You only need tempered if it is code. Low-e and argon really only help if you have large windows.

The number one thing is the warranty on the seal and installation. If a seal fails, it can take some time to show up (fogs up on the Inside) and you don't want to be just out of warranty when that shows up.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Let me know if you decide to get a roof quote as my FIL has done it for decades.

RockChucker

Amsco windows are made here local in Utah. My dad works there. He doesn't do installs, but has friends that do. They will probably be much cheaper than buying from someone else. If you have vinyl windows already, and you just need to replace the glass, that is much cheaper. My dad does do that on the side. It depends on the window size, but I think average cost for glass is around $100. I think. Either way, if you're interested, I can get you contact info for either route.

comingdown

Windows are easy too. I have jones paint and glass windows in my house. I like them. Ironically I actually switched over and work there now. Temper only where code requires, low-e is good, but like anything has varying degrees of effectiveness. Installing them is easy, relatively depending on how experienced you are and what your house exterior is. Text me if you have questions. I can get a good deal or help walk you through an install if your relatively close to me. 801-628-6990