How do your clean your helmet?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Helmets can get pretty nasty... sweat, dust, sand all make for a nasty combination and having to put that mess on your head gets a bit questionable at times. I found a great way to clean my helmets.... in the dish washer! I have to remove the top rack to get it to fit, run it without soap and on an easy setting. The high-pressure and hot water does a great job cleaning and when it's done, I usually set it outside in the sun for a day or 2 to dry. If you had a boot dryer, that would work too.

So how do you clean your helmet?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I take out the liner and wash it by hand and usually power wash the inside when I am washing the bikes.

As a hijack to this, if you want a light helmet with an incredible amount of ventilation, the new Klim F4 is the bomb. They gave me one with my gear deal and it is the first helmet I have worn that at the end of the day of riding I had to clean the dirt out of my ears. It's lighter than my 6d and just as comfortable.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Take or the liner and wash it by hand.
Wipe the thing out with a wash cloth and warm water.

Too hot water or air will degrade the foam.
I wrecked a snow helmet by letting it dry over a heat vent

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I take the liner out, and toss it in the washing machine, worried the first time about shrinking the liner, but it never has. scrub the rest of the helmet in the kitchen sink...My wifes real proud of the coating of red dirt that gets left behind.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I take out the liner and wash it by hand and usually power wash the inside when I am washing the bikes.

As a hijack to this, if you want a light helmet with an incredible amount of ventilation, the new Klim F4 is the bomb. They gave me one with my gear deal and it is the first helmet I have worn that at the end of the day of riding I had to clean the dirt out of my ears. It's lighter than my 6d and just as comfortable.

I've worn an F4 for years, but the new ones are sooo light in comparison. Gonna replace it asap.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I just leave mine on the shelf for over a year at a time between rides to let all the bacteria starve to death. Seems to do the trick.

Caleb

Will do. You gonna sell 'em like you did the Forma boots? if so, shoot me a price. I'm assuming that the lighter ones are the "ECE" models. Thanks man.

Same, I need to replace my helmet this season and was looking at the 6d but based on your guys' reviews on the f4, I'd be very interested in going with Kilm.

djgardner

I take the liner out and toss it in the washing machine...on gentle cycle...and air dry.

And I second what Paul says about the Klim F4. My head has dirt all over it after a race, that's how ventilated they are. In fact it comes with a cold weather liner...and I've used it before. Great Product! (I love all of their Gear...I'm running their Mohave pants jersey and gloves...and they are great! Plus the pockets in the pants are awesome. I'd use their stuff even if I didn't get support from them.)