How many safety violations can YOU spot in this video?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
one question. i have a pintle hitch on the back of my range rover for recovery. i think the rating is 12 tons or something stupid like that. is it safe to use as a recovery point? i know i could pull someone with it, but not sure i'd use it like that guy did.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
one question. i have a pintle hitch on the back of my range rover for recovery. i think the rating is 12 tons or something stupid like that. is it safe to use as a recovery point?

I would say it is safe to use safely as a recovery point. If you don't replicate anything in the above video, you'll probably be just fine.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The mythbusters did a thing on breaking cables. They said the myth was busted if I remember right and that it wont take a head off.

That doesn't make me any more desirous to stand right next to the cable while the winch is under significant load, like the guys at the beginning of the video.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The mythbusters did a thing on breaking cables. They said the myth was busted if I remember right and that it wont take a head off.

I decided to google this. Here is what I found (at http://mythbustersresults.com/episode62):

Myth: If a cable snaps, it can cut a person in two.

Verdict: Busted

Summary: A 5/8" cable at 30,000 lbs of tension was unable to cut a pig in two (or even cut into it), but did cause potentially lethal injuries. The MythBusters took the test even further by adding a smaller cable at the end of larger one to create a "whip" effect, and even pre-looped a cable around the pig itself. None of these methods could cut the pig by the pre-tensed cable’s inertia alone. The pig was cut in half only when Adam tied a cable around it and then tightened the cable. Also, after making inquiries with almost every safety organization imaginable, the MythBusters were unable to find any concrete evidence of a person being cut in half by a snapped cable.

Let us not forget: you can be killed even without any major body parts being severed.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
A 30k snatch strap is almost always better for mud recovery than a winch IF you have the room to use it. It seems they may have mixed a snatch strap with a regular recovery strap that caused it to snap.