How to build a post/bollard with a game camera?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We've had some theft going around at our recreation property area. I want to install game cameras that can't be taken by thieves.

I was thinking about those payment drop posts that they have at campgrounds or other fee areas, but I'm not sure what their actually called so I can search for them to see how they are made. Any ideas?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

if it were me I'd rely on making it look like what ever it's around. if you have fence posts make it look like a big one at the entry way or something. If you don't want to cement it in there's the foam stuff https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sika-Polyurethane-Fence-Post-Mix-Actual-Net-Contents-33-fl-oz/999977070

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm going to be making several for various placement around our properties. I'm not interested in hiding all of them. I think a few obvious but protected game cameras would be a deterrent.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
waiting for a story like this one...

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
We've had some theft going around at our recreation property area. I want to install game cameras that can't be taken by thieves.

I was thinking about those payment drop posts that they have at campgrounds or other fee areas, but I'm not sure what their actually called so I can search for them to see how they are made. Any ideas?
We called them Iron Rangers. But they are essentially a pipe with a slit at the top end and an access hatch at the bottom to remove the fees. You could do the same with a hole for the lense and a removable/lockable back to take out the camera.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I picked up a couple Browning game cameras tonight. Gonna fab some boxes on poles tomorrow. It looks like you can buy some metal security boxes for some game cameras, but every single model on the market is a different shape and they were $38 each at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
What about digging a hole beneath something obvious left out, with a bunch of spikey sticks at the bottom and cover it with a thin layer of thatch?

Or less effective, maybe some sort of tracking device on the decoy item? The key would be to leave something that doesn't have value to normal people but would attract a local degenerate, like a side by side or maybe some open carry holsters?