How to clean fouled plugs?

jentzschman

Curious as to what one can use to clean up a fouled plug? I was thinking carb cleaner but just wondering if there are any "secret" techniques or cleaning solutions?

Thanks.

STAG

I always heard to put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at like 450 F° for a couple hours and they will work again. Don't remember what magazine I read the article in, nor the risks ha.

STAG

Google says:
Step one - wash down with starting fluid - spray into the electode area until it comes out looking clear - shake the excess liquid out check for spark before putting back in engine 75% of the time will get a fouled plug sparking again if you don't have a new one

Step 2 - collect all your fouled plugs and bake them in the oven at 450 for a couple hours be prepared for a lot of smoke as the oil burns off
Once they have cooled off - spray them in starter fluid again to remove any deposits maybe 90% work again (can also do with a propane torch in a pinch )

step 3 - throw out all those that don't

jentzschman

I always heard to put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at like 450 F° for a couple hours and they will work again. Don't remember what magazine I read the article in, nor the risks ha.

Google says:
Step one - wash down with starting fluid - spray into the electode area until it comes out looking clear - shake the excess liquid out check for spark before putting back in engine 75% of the time will get a fouled plug sparking again if you don't have a new one

Step 2 - collect all your fouled plugs and bake them in the oven at 450 for a couple hours be prepared for a lot of smoke as the oil burns off
Once they have cooled off - spray them in starter fluid again to remove any deposits maybe 90% work again (can also do with a propane torch in a pinch )

step 3 - throw out all those that don't

Baking option is out.... best not to explain...

Buy a new one, and keep a spare. Problem solved. :)

Sure, this is the best option. However, with about 50 bucks worth of plugs, many used once, it would be nice to recoup some of the cost...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
However, with about 50 bucks worth of plugs, many used once, it would be nice to recoup some of the cost...

:eek: $50 in plugs since purchase? If the bike is fouling them that often something is wrong. A healthy 2T should rarely (if ever) foul spark plugs when changed at the proper interval.

Try buying them from O'reilly, Autozone or other auto parts store. They are usually in stock for just over $2 :cool:

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I'm confused by this once used spark plug talk. I haven't changed my spark plug in the year that I've owned my bike. I'll sand blast them for you if you want me to.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I agree with what is posted above. 1. What caused it, most plugs and engines are engineered to the point that it should not happen. 2. If you sand blast realize that you are breaking down the ceramic surface that could lead to more fouling. In the old days it usually was a fix to get you by until a new plug could be purchased. 3. I have used plug, carburetor, and brake cleaners with some success. 4. Find the cause or it will just happen again.

jentzschman

:eek: $50 in plugs since purchase? If the bike is fouling them that often something is wrong. A healthy 2T should rarely (if ever) foul spark plugs when changed at the proper interval.

Try buying them from O'reilly, Autozone or other auto parts store. They are usually in stock for just over $2 :cool:

After thinking about it, it's closer to 25 bucks. Maybe something other then jetting is causing this?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2