General Tech How to ID a Dana 44?

eprobe

I bought a Dana 44, center-diff., narrow track w/ 4.27s for my CJ-5. I want to change to 3.31 gears but can't find any outside ID on the tube, the diff, anywhere. No year stamp, no serial number. Nothing. I've been all over it.

Now I come to find out there were 3 or 4 different versions of narrow track Danas. Dana switched the kind of R & P and case and the case size over the years.

I'm not even sure I'd no what I was looking at if I opened up the diff. How do you ID the ring and pinion and case?

Any advice (besides shoot it)?

Thanks,
Eric

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
you could get the numbers off the ring gear and call six states, Im sure they will be able to tell you what you've got and what you need, Ive had to do that before

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I know there were several differences over the years for Jeep Dana 44s, but with the exception of pinion splines (you can just change the yoke if you have to change from course to fine spline...) there weren't any differences in the ring and pinion. There is the typical carrier break (3.73 and down, 3.92 and up) so you'd have to change carriers, but most axles have that. Other than that, the gear sets are all the same until you get up in to the newer Jeeps (alum ZJ/WJ 44s, JK 44s...)

In short, buy your standard Dana 44 gears in your desired ratio, find a 3.73 and down carrier (these should be plentiful and easy to find used) and have your gears installed.

Have you thought of regearing the front to match your new rear axle instead of the other way around? If you have taller than stock tires, it might be in your best interest to do it that way.:)

eprobe

Yeah, thought of that

Bryson;

Yeah. Problem is, 4.27 gears aren't that common. I found a guy who has R and P, case and other junk to switch the rear to 3.31. I'll still have to buy the bearings and such. That will all cost me $200 plus installation (about $270) unless you know somebody who can do it cheaper). Total cost about $500.

I can't find any complete sets of Dana 30 4.27 R and P plus case for less than about $400. Then I'd have to buy the bearings and such (+$100) and then pay for installation ($270). Total cost about $900.

Wife says "$900? No way. How are we going to feed the kid?" I say, "We'll eat the cat." You can probably see who is going to win this argument.